We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fuel choices

M
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
fuel choices

Will spend a week driving from Dublin to Kilkenny, Cork, Kilarney, Dingle, Shannon, the southwest loop. Does it make a big difference in terms of fuel cost for such a drive in selecting a diesel car vs non-diesel? And is diesel fuel readily available from most of the gas stations enroute? Thanks you.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fuel choices

Diesel is available in all fuel outlets - my hubby drives a diesel and there are no problems.

Diesel is marginally less expensive per litre BUT you get far more miles to your gallon or kms to your litre with a diesel car.

Hubby can drive from Limerick to Dublin and back in his 2 litre engine diesel car and you barely notice the fuel consumption. I can drive to Dublin and back in my 2 litre engine petrol car and you need to fill her up shortly before and shortly afterwards.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fuel choices

Taking account of the price differential and the consumption a 2 litre diesel car can be up to 40% cheaper than a petrol version on long runs.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fuel choices

If fuel cost is a concern and there is only one or two people then you might be better to choose a 1.6 litre diesel or a 1.3 litre petrol engine vehicle Most reputable hire companies offer a choice of vehicles..

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fuel choices

Fuel efficiency on Petrol Cars is just about as good as diesel these days so just pick a car that suits the size you want for maybe €30 total overall on fuel for 1000 miles. If you need a big car go for diesel, for a small car go for petrol.

M
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: fuel choices

Thank you all for the info. Armed with all the miscellaneous "knowledge," even including diesel vs regular gasoline, I think I am ready for my trip in 2 days. Just 2 of us traveling so relatively a small car will do, and good to know diesel is widely available.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fuel choices

Because of taxation differences on new cars, diesels are now very popular in Ireland (I think I read somewhere they now outsell petrols models). In any event you will find that every filling station sells diesel fuel

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fuel choices

I thought that cars regardless of petrol/diesel were taxed on engine CC. Diesel cars tend to be more expensive I would have thought over that of a petrol engine car to purchase.

Edited: 12 November 2012, 15:56
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fuel choices

Post 08 cars are taxed on Emission's which are typically lower for Diesel's Pre 08 are taxed on CC

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fuel choices

Thanks Tony, it is a long time since I bought a new car.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fuel choices

On my latest visit to Ireland I'd booked a group "b" car with Hertz, but was upgraded to group "c", and the vehicle happened to be a diesel Seat Ibiza (4-door). I travelled just over 1000km and spent €70 on fuel.

eta _ at the petrol station: green nozzle/handle for petrol; black for diesel.

Edited: 13 November 2012, 09:35