We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 day Road Trip September 2013

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
14 day Road Trip September 2013

Might as well make a milestone post one for myself.

September Trip for me and Christina Next Year a rush around the coastline with some other bits to throw in and a couple of questions which I sort of know the answers too but I am always open to suggestion.

Leaving home Wednesday 11th and aiming for Adare and the Woodlands Hotel for an overnight and a quiet drink, possibly Aunty Leana’s for a bit of pub grub

Thursday 12th is our 10th anniversary so whilst I have either the Killarney Court or the Eviston pencilled in it might be a case of having a posh night, well two but nothing overpriced because there is no point being surrounded by glitz when you’re sleeping off a gallon of Guinness. Kenmare might come into the equation (I quite fancy the Sheen Falls but not sure my wallet fancies there too much 1nights B&B = 1 weeks pension)

Saturday 14th round Beara and end up in Cobh for the night at the Commodore getting back on the road on Sunday maybe Mass at St Colmans first and Fota?

Tuesday Morning 17th leave the Promenade Hotel Bray heading for the Travelodge Belfast and face my demons spending the night in Belfast for the first time in 30yrs. The following morning the choice is either the Black cab tour to see how things have changed or the Titanic exhibition.

Wednesday and Thursday nights will be in Portrush at the Avarest Guest house, arrival will be late so it will be Thursday for the Causeway coast and some of the Glens of Antrim.

Crossing the Foyle by Ferry and a slow steady days drive towards Donegal Town dropping the bags at Drumcorry Farm as we pass onto the Friday evening in Town have to get some local info on the nights entertainment and keep Chris away from the cocktail menu in Dom’s the last night out in there was wicked.

Saturday will be the Slieve League then possibly Beleek before either Sligo or Ballina because Achill Island is on the must do list for a lump of Sunday.

Monday and Tuesday will meet the need of attending Clifden Arts Week so will have to get Dún Rí booked early as it has suddenly become popular with folk from the TA forums. What did Pete McCarthy say never give the name of somewhere you need to use yourself! Far too much for just a couple of days but even after all these years there are places unseen and I can feel Inisboffin calling me already.

Wednesday is the last night before Home so Tua Beag in Spiddal is on the list for a must stay, been too long since we had a night there and even though the Calamor is past a couple of pints in Tygh Hughes will revive lost memories.

-

Point One do we stay another night in Cobh or aim to Waterford? Staying in Cobh allows a call at Jamesons in Middleton. But missing Waterford might not make sense because the aim for Monday night is Bray. Then again Cobh to Bray is really too far in one go even if we miss Kilkenny?

Point Two choosing between Sligo and Ballina, the next night will be in Westport and we will need somewhere in Town as our usual spot on Clew bay is too far out of town really, even for a Sunday nights drink.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 day Road Trip September 2013

Tony - you will see HUGE changes in Belfast. Honestly, it's a really vibrant city nowadays.

The travelodge is central but wouldn't be one we'd recommend really on the Belfast forum as it gets very noisy at weekends (although Tuesdays should be fine!!) and is a bit old and tired. It is a good location though. Have a look at the likes of the Premier Inn (I found the one in Cathedral Quarter excellent although I was fortunate enough to get the £29 deal) and the Alfred St one also gets good reviews. Just other options to consider - but if it's a bed after a night at the Crown or Robinson's, then Travelodge is right next door ;)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 day Road Trip September 2013

It was the Premier I was thinking of rather than the travelodge thanks ponaire.

I believe the Crown is now state owned?? not sure I would know Robinson's?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 day Road Trip September 2013

As Ponaire says if you haven't been to Belfast in 30 years, the difference will be nothing short of astonishing.

The Crown Bar is now in the hands of The National Trust charity, and beautifully maintained. You will have no difficulty finding Robinson's as it is virtually next door to the Crown, and it too is a lovely pub

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 day Road Trip September 2013

Sounds quite interesting Tony, keep us informed. Can't help as most know more than me, but I like to read these.

I've enjoyed visiting Waterford :)

Edited: 25 November 2012, 19:09
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,692 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 day Road Trip September 2013

From Cobh to Midleton is handy trip and you could press on to Dungarvan easily,or indeed Waterford,reasonably good road.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,692 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 day Road Trip September 2013

Bellek -meh, we visited it this year and certainly were underwhelmed.Inisboffin is lovely, an unspoiled island, might be too quiet for some.The church windows are lovely and the views over the sea can be wonderful.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 day Road Trip September 2013

Hi, @ Point Two - I've only passed through Ballina, but I think you'd like staying there more than in Sligo. Also better positioned for Achill next day.

In Westport, I've stayed at the Wyatt Hotel - right in center of town, a bit expensive, popular with hens (maybe not on a Sun. night), but parking may be a prob & there's no breakfast. Down at the Quay, I can recommend The Helm for B&B - nothing fancy, friendly owners, nice restaurant & bar downstairs, very good breakfast.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,692 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 day Road Trip September 2013

I hate this time limit edit thing.I'd prefer the Dunraven to the Woodlands by at mile and the location of the Dunraven is hard to beat.

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
259 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 day Road Trip September 2013

Hi Tony...hope to meet you and the wife for a coffee while you are in town! The Mill Times on Mill Street might work for you. http://www.milltimeshotel.ie/

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 day Road Trip September 2013

Thanks for the replies, all appreciated.

The Woodlands might not be top of many peoples list for Adare and is now probably over my walking distance into town but it ticks two essential boxes..Great Breakfast and possibly the most comfortable beds I have slept in.

Westport might be a wing it night generally too close to Clifden during Arts week but it's a couple of years since we stayed and it is a great town.

The problem is narrowing things down..there is so much at every stop that we have seen and love but also so much left to discover. Then there is the weather. Whilst I might get on a boat in a 6 ft swell 6 inch would be Chris's limit so Clare Island which I havn't seen an d Inisboffin might be non starters,