We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seats on train with ticket??

lou
charlton, ma
Level Contributor
187 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
seats on train with ticket??

I am going to be purchasing my train ticket on line in advance of my trip. If I understand correctly, if I purchase a standard ticket, I will automatically have an assigned seat - is that right? On the rail website, there is an option to reserve a seat for an additional 6 euros...I do not want to do that if my ticket purchase already includes a seat. Can someone please clarify this for me?

Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seats on train with ticket??

lou, you’d think that wouldn’t you but no!

In Ireland and Britain and possibly other European countries (In my experience Spain & Germany) your ticket only entitles you to carriage; you’d only need to speak to daily commuters who stand to verify that.

HOWEVER it is uncommon these days to find people having to stand (there was considerable investment in rolling stock a few years ago) If folks are standing it is usually only for short/ish distances on the main commuter lines at peak times.

Also if you are travelling on intercity routes out of Dublin on a Friday evening or at holiday weekends you may wish to consider booking a seat.

Tell us where and when you intend to travel and we can give you more advice. I have not been travelling by train as much recently and my commuter daughter has changed locations so I may not be quite as up to date as others.

In summary; in general I don’t think you need to book seats but there are a few times that it may be worth it especially if it would be difficult for you to stand.

Ireland
Level Contributor
580 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: seats on train with ticket??

It's been my experience when buying a rail ticket online from the Iarnród Éireann (Irish Rail) website that one is automatically allocated a seat. The number of the seat will be printed on the ticket. One can choose their own seat within the carriage (e.g. aisle/window) or allow the system to automatically allocate it.

Usually one's name is displayed on a small screen above the window. If the screen is not working a notice is usually left on the seat by rail staff indicating it is reserved. Announcements are made on the onboard public address system requesting other passengers not to occupy reserved seats.

This may also be of help:

www.irishrail.ie/cat_faq.jsp…

Commuter and regional trains are not reservable so if heading for the likes of Cahir or Clonmel the connecting train from Limerick Jct. will not have reservations (just sit where you please). Similar for trains from Ballybrophy to Roscrea./Nenagh or for Cork City to Cóbh/Midleton.

Train fares are increasing from DEcember 1st though there will still likely be a range of promotional fares available.

Hope you have a pleasant and enjoyable visit.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seats on train with ticket??

If you buy online, you get a reserved seat. The only exception is if you have a leg on a commuter train where it's not possible to reserve.

The reserve a seat option is for people who have a ticket bought in the station who want to reserve a seat later or for people travelling on free passes.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
70 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seats on train with ticket??

If you book your ticket online you can pick your own seat at no extra cost. You only have to pay separately for a seat then you have an open-ended return ticket.

lou
charlton, ma
Level Contributor
187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seats on train with ticket??

Thanks so much....you have all been extre

mely helpful!!!

6. Re: seats on train with ticket??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 06:16