We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Creamy Seafood Chowder

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Creamy Seafood Chowder

While I was in Clifden I had some really lovely Creamy Seafood Chowder at Mitchell's. I would like to make some here at home. Does anyone have a good recipe the wouldn't mind sharing?

PM me if you don't want to put it up on the forum.

FYI I haven't forgotten the rest of the Trip Reports just been very busy since I got back to the states. A trip from Jax to DC for a Thanksgiving and a family wedding with a few days of work thrown in.

Thanks in advance for the recipe.

K

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Creamy Seafood Chowder

There are loads of recipes for chowder, finding the exact one that Mitchells use would be a bit difficult, but I do know that many restaurants put a load of cream into chowder - too much for me - and whichever recipe you use that's how you get the creaminess.

My own seafood chowder involves shredding an onion, finely dicing a potato and grating several carrots and softening them in a drop of oil, simmering white fish, smoked fish and salmon in fish stock, pour off the stock onto the veg and cook until done and the potato is breaking up, you can liquidise it if you wish then, I usually just stir it a bit till the potato breaks up. Add the fish broken into pieces, bring back to simmer heat, add a splash of milk and some pepper and there you are.

You could add things like mussels, prawns, squid etc if you wish, and for creaminess a good slug of cream, but don't let it boil after adding it.

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Creamy Seafood Chowder

I just wanted the general idea of what goes in it. I think I can figure out the basics but wanted to know if there were things in there I hadn't thought of. Like the smoked fish.

Thanks for telling how you make it. Grating the onion is a great idea, more onion flavor but no chunks of onion.

Edited: 27 November 2012, 13:51
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Creamy Seafood Chowder

I would be softening the onions in White wine, Mussels and or Oyster plus Prawns are essentials in the west, I banned myself from Michells a few years ago and Chris wouldn't eat the Chowder in there when we did use the place. Mannions or the Marconi are top at the moment but that could change in a couple of weeks.

Basic recipe from RTE

rte.ie/lifestyle/…

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Creamy Seafood Chowder

Hey Karen, good to hear from you. We share common thoughts! I'm making chowder tomorrow. I don't follow an actual recipe, but I can tell you it is good. I'll write it out as I go along and PM it on to you. My secret ingredient is fennel seed!

It will be simar to that in Mitchells. Yum.

B

5. Re: Creamy Seafood Chowder

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 05:17