We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive vacation for five throughout Ireland

ann arbor
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive vacation for five throughout Ireland

My family of five (husband and I and our three teens) are interested in traveling Ireland on our own this summer. Not sure where to start to plan. Are there cars to rent there that will fit our whole family? Suggestions for itinerary (number of days needed) and accommodations would be appreciated.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive vacation for five throughout Ireland

This from tony2phones will help get you started:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k56652…

And, an older posting with suggestions another DE, Bryno:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k16948…

Canada
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive vacation for five throughout Ireland

As for cars- you would likely need a mini-van at least. I had a large opel and there would not have been room in the trunk for 5 suitcases/backpacks or whatever you travel with. Make sure you get a diesel- better on mileage and cheaper per litre.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive vacation for five throughout Ireland

How to plan your own fly-drive holiday:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c138981/Irela…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c138899/Irela…

and if you look at the right-hand side of this page, under "top questions" you'll find links to some suggested itineraries, plus trip reports which make good reading and contain lots of helpful information.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive vacation for five throughout Ireland

Hello. Go to www.discoverireland.ie and www.heritageireland.ie for great ideas on planning your Irish vacation. With 3 teens, let them see what they can come up with. If they are into castles, some they might find interesting are Trim castle, Cahir castle, and Kilkenny castle, all with great tours, to name but a few. And yes, a minivan would probably be your best bet. Your itinerary depends on how many days you plan to spend. Enjoy your planning and your trip.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self drive vacation for five throughout Ireland

I got a 5 seater (Class W) from Dan Dooley for four of us. We originally had 5 but one dropped. There was adequate space for our bags and we could have easily added a 5th person. It looks like they have 6 seaters in that class also, so more room/additional storage space possible. (I'm not endorsing Dan Dooley- just worked for us for that group size. There is a lot of info on this forum regarding car hire and others experience, so please read up on it and make the best informed decision!)

Read the Frequently Asked Questions to get you started a bit, and then read through posts on related questions you may have. For everything else, ask the forum. These people are great!

6. Re: Self drive vacation for five throughout Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 06:15