We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days Dublin to Dublin - help with itinerary

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
7 days Dublin to Dublin - help with itinerary

We're planning a 7 - 8 day trip next october. Have absolutely no idea - happy to drive but rather not be too frantic - couple of nights, at least, per stop. Any help will be greatly appreciated :-

Many thanks

Anne - West Aus

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days Dublin to Dublin - help with itinerary

Is it essential that you do a Dublin to Dublin itinerary? Dublin to Shannon or vice versa would make it a bit easier I think.

How about Dublin - Kilkenny/Cork - Clare - Shannon?

It would be easier if we knew your interests and expectations for the the trip.

Bryno's 13 Questions my help you focus (I've copied and pasted them below so I hope I've gotten them right! )

1.Where will I fly into / out of?

2.What month will I be in Ireland?

3.Will I hire a car?

4.Are there any places that I must see?

5.How many actual tour days do I have? (excluding arrival and departure days)

6.What are my main interests? (eating, drinking, shopping, walking, history, geography, outdoor)

7.What kind of accommodation will I stay in

8.How many are in the group?

9.Will there be children travelling with me?

10.How energetic am I?

11.Do I like to visit cities or prefer more rural locations?

12. Do I want to include shopping as part of my holiday?

13. What is my budget?

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days Dublin to Dublin - help with itinerary

I agree for a 7 night stay, you may want to fly into Dublin and out of Shannon. When I checked into, flight was cheaper to fly in and out of Dublin, so I decided to expand my trip 12 days. You figure 3-4 are wasted travelling.

Originally, I was planning 3 different places to stay- Dublin (4 nights - 2 in beginning, 2 at the end), Killarney (3 nights) , and Galway (2 nights). We added 2 nights: 1 at Kilkenny (just because it was going to be too long of drive of what I wanted to see from Dublin to Killarney) and 1 night at Dromoland Castle (wanted to stay 1 night in Castle).

I chose end of May for our trip in 2011.

We rented a car. It was expensive, but I would not do any other way. I drive a lot for work, so driving for 2-3 hrs at a time is no big deal for me. You just have so much more freedom than being on a bus or train. You can say, "hey let's go here", or if you are tired, you can say, "let's forget about going there".

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days Dublin to Dublin - help with itinerary

Is this stand alone or part of a Europe/UK tour? Thing is with 2 days in Dublin you have a Max of 3 other town/city bases. Ireland is a lot bigger on the ground than it looks on a map. you can't drive Irish roads like the run from Perth to Adalaide, you might cover half the mileage in a couple of weeks. Decide what are your must see places and concentrate on 1/3 or at most 1/2 of the Island of Ireland. We can all give you our favourite places but it's not our trip.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days Dublin to Dublin - help with itinerary

First question is whether you have your flights booked yet. As others have said not doing Dublin-Dublin opens your options a bit. Being from Aus, it's not so important that the other airport is Shannon as Cork and Belfast also have decent, if not better, hub connections.

My second question is where in Cork you're looking to go. Cork divides into about 4 parts, the city, West Cork, East Cork and North Cork. The last of these is primarily interesting to tourists as a fishing destination, but all the others have plenty to offer.

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days Dublin to Dublin - help with itinerary

Wow - so much to think about. 'Yes' this is part of a bigger UK and Europe trip - the last week & we could extend Ireland by a few days. I'll have a look at the possibility of flying out of Shannon (to Paris) - we'll be flying in from Portugal (Lisbon) - it's fun to be planning such a big trip, but also rather overwhelming!

So far we have - 1 week with friends near Ipswich, 1 week in Lake District, 1 night Manchester - then 12 day cruise Venice to Barcelona - 5 nights in Barcelona. It's the final 2 1/2 weeks i'm sorting out now. The plan is 5 - 7 nights in Lisbon, then onto Ireland before flying out of Paris for 4 nights in Mauritius then back home to Perth - 8 weeks in total! We are on a budget so i'm hunting for the best deals on everything!

We're used to driving long distances so that's no problem - but, we also don't want to try and cram too much in - I can see I need to do far more research on the places that we'd really like to visit.

Thank you SO MUCH for all your help and advice, it's truly appreciated :-)

Cheers

Anne

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days Dublin to Dublin - help with itinerary

Although I wouldn't rule out it bring announced by Ryanair in coming weeks, you can't currently fly Shannon-Paris. You can fly Cork-Paris with Aer Lingus, so if Cork is on your itinerary anyway, it might make sense to finish in Cork and fly from there.

7. Re: 7 days Dublin to Dublin - help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 18:17