We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good itinerary?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good itinerary?

My wife and I are trying to plan a week-long trip to Ireland the first week of March in 2013. We do not know a whole lot about Ireland so we've sort of pieced together an itinerary that sort of mimics some of the packages we've seen floating around. Here is the city list.

Fly into Dublin

Dublin - 2 nights

Killarney -2 nights (Lake hotel)

Galway - 2 nights

Limerick - 1 night

Fly out of Shannon

We are very active (late twenties) and like a mix of cities and scenery. My idea was to use these cities as "homebases" and visiting sites nearby daily. We will have a rental. This would be the order of the cities we'd stay in.

Does this seem like a good plan? We haven't decided our "must sees" yet although we want to spend some time in Dublin, the wife would really like to see The Cliffs of Moher, and we had a friend tell us Galway was his favorite town.

So what does everyone think? Is this a good option for a first ever trip to Ireland? Will those cities be near enough to some of the must-sees of Ireland? Any recommended changes?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Is this a good itinerary?

I'd do public transportation or a taxi to your hotel and back to the airport for the car before heading down to Killarney. You will be fresh and it will be a fairly easy introductory drive to Killarney from Dublin airport. Dublin city centre is great for walking.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is this a good itinerary?

you can do what you want as far as the car but you ought to check to make sure your hotel has parking available and if it's included in the room rate...

driving is very difficult in dublin, lots of traffic, signage is not easily seen, and it you have to provide your own parking it is at a minimum and the fees at a maximum....

if you haven't paid for your rental and it can be changed i would recommend just changing the pick up days and pick up when you get ready to leave dublin....

13. Re: Is this a good itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2013, 10:16