We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

Hi all The wife and I are planning a Southern Ireland/London vacation in Oct 2013. Looking for some guidance and opinions on a few questions.

Oct 4th - Depart US at night - direct overnight to Dublin

Oct 5th - Arrive DUB 10-11am. Aircoach or taxi to city center. Stay in modest B&B or hotel (TBD) in town, drop off luggage or early check in. Most likely do HOHO bus to get our bearings the first day and adjust to time difference.

Oct 6th - 7th - All Dublin both days, HOHO bus 2nd day to see remaining attractions. Temple Bar for shopping and maybe a pub at night for drinks/music, etc...

Q1 - Is 2.5 days in Dublin enough to see the major attractions and get a sense of local life?

Q2 - It appears that most of the attractions are located on the green HOHO busses - what's missing that I need to pick up?

Oct 8th - Aircoach or taxi to airport in morning. Pick up car. Drive an hour to Glendalough for (11am-12:30pm), then off to Kilkenny for the Night. I want to visit Kilkenny Castle and walk around the city a bit for the remainder of the day. Staying the night at Butlers House.

Q3 - What's with the tolls I keep reading about? I was not planning on having internet access on the trip. How does this affect me if I can't go online and pay a toll?

Q4 - Is the drive to Glendalough worth the 3-4 hours or so it will take to get there and see the monastery? Would my time be better served going straight to Kilkenny and doing a walking tour or some other attraction?

Oct 9th - Leave Kilkenny for Rock of Cashel, and potentially another stop at Cahir castle en route to Killarney. Planning on staying in Killarney for 5 nights. - Potentially booking Park Place Apartments (self catering). Trying to get a little bit of a home away from home sense and not hotel hop too much around the southwest.

Q5 - Is there a standard for what's included and not in "self catering"? I don't know of an equivelant here in the US. Cleaning/turn down service/most toiletries I would not expect to be included. However, I read a review on another place how someone ran out of toilet paper and had to go get their own. Are these types of things supposed to be included?

Oct 10th - 13th - ROK or Dingle Sleigh or Beara peninsula drive one day; Killarney Nat Park/Muckross house/Ross Castle one day; Dingle Town 1 day; One day flex/relaxing around town. Basically we're going to have a few pre-planned out days and just choose which we want to do based on weather and our whims of the day.

Oct 14th - Leave Killarney to Blarney Castle, and to Cork, where we spend the rest of the day/night before departing for London via ORK airport. Wanted to visit the old market, or maybe Queenstown/Cobh.

Q6 - Does the market die down after lunchtime? Is it better to visit another attraction if we arrive later in the day (1-2ish)?

Q7 - How close is the airport to the city/attractions? If we get an early flight is it better to travel in the morning to the airport, or stay closer that night?

Q8 - What is traffic like from Killarney to Cork airport in the morning? How long would that take? If we decide to just stay another night in Killarney rather than hotel hop, would that be a mistake?

Oct 15th - 19th - London and then direct flight back to US

Like I said above, looking for some comments and answers to my questions. Any critique of the itinerary is welcome as well...

Rick

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,947 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

By the market, I presume you mean the English market in Cork city?That isn't like a morning market, it is open regular shopping hours.

Glendalough is a must see for me, it's stunning.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

I rented my car from a company on Old Kilmainham road (about 10 minutes from my downtown hotel). It was only about 10 minutes before I was on the Mroad and less than and hour to Glendalough. If you are heading south from Dublin this is a much better option than going back to airport! You also avoid the toll on the Mroad this way.

Glendalough was a great visit and the Wicklow/Sally gaps well worth the time!

I spent 6 hrs in Kilkenny and it was not enough. The castle, the cathedrals, the main street, the craft center eat up lots of time!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

What time is your flight from Cork at? And what day of the week?

The drive from Killarney to Cork is pretty but the roads are narrow in places and there can sometimes be problems. There are currently roadworks on the road but barring something of catastrophic proportions, they are likely to be finished by October this year!!!!!

This site will give you details of whats going on, on the roads aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

If you google map Killarney, then zoom out and follow the N22 road, you will get an idea. Periodically you should zoom in on the road and put the "yellow man" down to get an idea of what it is like in a particular spot. The road around Ballyvourney is very narrow and twisty and 30 mph seems like excessive speed!! There is a stretch of about 10 miles where the road isn't great. But the road out from Killarney and the road into Cork is good and you'll be missing Cork city because the airport is on the West of the city.

routes.aaireland.ie will give you details of distance and time - but add on about 10% to give a more realistic perspective and allow yourself 20% to be sure, to be sure. You're never going to be able to plan for a sheep in the road or a tractor!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

Q1 - Is 2.5 days in Dublin enough to see the major attractions and get a sense of local life?

While you could probably spend a week in Dublin I think 2.5 days will give you a good flavour, a nice overview.

Q2 - It appears that most of the attractions are located on the green HOHO busses - what's missing that I need to pick up?

The green HOHO is quite comprehensive, the only think I would add is Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum. If you had time a trip to Howth Summit and a walk down to Howth Village would be nice, not hugely essential though! :)

washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

Harvey - Yes; I meant the old English Market. I hear great things about Glendalough, but I also hear great things about Kilkenny city...

Mathlady - I've been pricing out the downtown car locations and they're just really more expensive than the airport locations (to the tune of $300-$400 US for the week). I'll keep looking for deals. It doesn't seemed to have moved at all minus the exchange rate for the last few weeks of me looking. Are Ireland car rental rates as volatile as US ones? (i.e. many times I can keep checking daily this far in advance and find the rate cut in half for a short period of time for most US locations). Maybe if we can work this option, we could leave a tiny bit earlier and still fit more of Kilkenny in after Glendalough...

Bean, We haven't booked that flight yet, but most likely the ~730am flight from Cork to LHR. We're trying to maximize our time in London as well... Which would mean driving in the dark on those roads; doesnt seem appealing - probably best to stick around Cork that last night... Thanks for the links. I had found that site before but never bookmarked it.

Rick

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

Meant to also add that Temple Bar is not great for shopping, mainly restaurants and bars. For shopping have a look around Grafton St, Wicklow St and Powerscourt Townhouse on South William St

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

Rick, there are a number of nice hotels in the vicinity of Cork airport. They would be ideal for your last night.

The drive to Cork will take somewhere between 80 - 90 minutes.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

Regarding the self catering question.

Self catering means that on arrival you are given the keys and it is your house for the week.

No one comes in and cleans , or replensishes your loo roll (do they at your house? they dont in mine).

The house should be clean on arrival, there may be some coffee provided, (and some loo roll) but after that you're on your own.

On leaving it is good manner to wash up and strip the beds, but there is no need to clean as someone will come in and give it a good go through before the next guests arrive.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

As fuchsiagirl says, self catering is just that, you look after yourself. There may be a 'welcome' of some milk, tea, coffee, you will probably find there is loo roll and washing up liquid, but these are not to be expected unless you are promised them. Its a good idea to call in a supermarket and stock up on some basics before you get there.

10. Re: Ireland Itinerary - with Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 06:18