We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Ireland Trip

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
94 posts
675 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Ireland Trip

Hey all, just doing some preliminary thinking about a trip that my family will be taking at the start of June. We were thinking of trying to get in Greece and Ireland for a few days each, as this is where our parents are from, respectively. I'm just curious if it is conceivable to have a good trip for just a few days in Ireland.

I've yet to look into specifics, but I know we'd certainly want to see Dublin, and possibly a little trip up to Arranmore Island, where my mother's family is from. Any thoughts? Possibly 3-5 days or so for each country?

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Ireland Trip

Spend the whole time in one or other country is my advice, otherwise you won't do justice to either.

When are you considering visiting?

Edit: Just saw start of June!

Edited: 09 January 2013, 23:16
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,348 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Ireland Trip

Is the object of the exercise to get a couple of stamps in the passport and a memory card full of photo's? Or do you actually want to get some lasting memories of either place. If its the latter then 10 days for one of the countries would be the best bet.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Ireland Trip

i agree with uasal...do one or the other and then come back another time....you'd hardly get over jet lag before you move on......

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
94 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Ireland Trip

Thanks for the comments thus far! It isn't quite as simple as just coming back though. For me, sure. I love traveling, and would happily just do another trip. However, I'll be in Europe for a conference already, and my brother is stationed in Europe for a little while longer. Because of that, we managed to talk my parents into joining us for a trip. While they would both love to see their home country, they don't love the hassle of flying - especially long distances.

So while I don't care in the least about just crossing places off my list, I'm ultimately not sure that we'll convince them to get back for another trip. I've done some European travel though, and wasn't thrilled with the idea of doing each place with only a few days. Ultimately any jet lag should only interfere with a day in the first location, if even. I've found that traveling TO Europe, if I spend the first day outside, I'm too excited to feel jet-lagged. Coming back is when it hits you. Certainly between them it looks to be just a 4H flight, so no worries on that. That's just from one coast to the other in the US.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Ireland Trip

A few thoughts:

(1) A little trip from Dublin to Arranmore Island off the coast of Donegal on your timescale would likely mean most of your time would be spent getting there and back.

Nothing wrong with that as a way of seeing a bit of countryside, as long as you are aware of it and plan accordingly.

Will you rent a vehicle? No need for it in Dublin, but, renting for a few days might work out a bit more expensive than you might imagine.

On the other hand, using public transport would be challenging, to say the least.

(2) Use the Route Planner feature to get an idea of time (add 10%-15% extra) it takes to get from Dublin to Burtonport in Donegal:

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx#

(3) Ferry to Aranmore:

arainnmhor.com/Arainn_Mhor_Island/Visit.html

www.arranmoreferry.com/Howtogethere.htm

(4) Bear in mind that early June includes a Bank Holiday Weekend. While Monday 3rd June is the actual Bank Holiday, the whole weekend from Friday 31st May, 2013 will be busier than average on the roads, for example.

irishbankholidays.com/IrelandRepublicOf/2013…

(5) The good thing about it being a Bank Holiday weekend is that Arranmore has organized a Special Football Challenge involving almost 20 teams from Ireland and across the UK.

Music galore in the pubs to help celebrate the event. Part of The Gathering Ireland, 2013:

thegatheringireland.com/Attend-A-Gathering/…

(6) Given that you expect this trip to be a once-in-a-lifetime one to Europe, if there is any way you can extend the time involved, you will be handsomely rewarded!

At least a week in each country!

(7) Seems a shame not to see as much as possible of Co Donegal (and Sligo) if you are traveling to the county in the first place.

(8) All things Donegal:

http://www.donegaldirect.ie

(9) All things Islands off coast of Ireland:

www.discoverireland.ie/Ireland-s-Islands

(10) discoverireland.com/gb/…

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
94 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Ireland Trip

Thanks for the additional thoughts, Uasal!

I suspect that we would end up renting a car if we wanted to get up that way. I definitely like the idea of perhaps visiting some places along the way up to the coast.

Thanks also for the tips about the holiday!

I'll definitely see about whether I can change anyone's mind about the trip. Even combining destinations that are closer wouldn't be as bad as the two that we picked. England and Ireland I expect wouldn't be nearly as hard to manage. That being said, a little trip over to Ireland wouldn't be as much of a trip as flying over to the rest of Europe. Will have to think about this some more.

7. Re: Quick Ireland Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 06:18