We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland with small children

long island,ny
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland with small children

In late February we are traveling to Ireland with our sons-ages 6 and 8...We have a family wedding in Kilkenny, where we plan on staying for 3 nights...We would also like to see Galway, the Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty castle, Cashel and of course Dublin. Any recommendations on other places to visit, and/or how many days we should spend at each? Thanks so much!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,459 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland with small children

Some suggestions here:

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k601824…

How long have you got and where are you flying in and out of?

With young children I would suggest you pick a number of bases and work from there. The days are still fairly short in February (we get to about 12h Day, 12h Night on the 21st March) so you would need to plan your trips accordingly.

For the Cliffs, Bunratty and Galway, I would suggest that you visit Bunratty and the Cliffs on the way to Galway.

Kerry is always a brilliant place for Children with its fabulous safe beaches - in February you can fly kites - and lovely forest and lakeside parks. It is also home to the renowned Murphy's Ice Cream.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland with small children

Make sure you see Kilkenny Castle when you are staying in Kilkenny. If you have a car when you are staying in Kilkenny then Castlecomer Discovery Park would be worth a visit:

http://www.discoverypark.ie/

long island,ny
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland with small children

Thank u for your quick replies. We were thinking of spending 3 nights on Kilkenny, 2/3 in dingle and 2/3 in Galway with 1 night in Dublin before leaving the country. We have a total of 9 nights. Am I being too ambitious?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,459 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland with small children

On your transition day between Kilkenny and Kerry could you get up early and head to Fota Wildlife Park in Cork? It will take you about 3 hours to go around it but all of you will totally enjoy it. They have a wonderful Meerkat enclosure and had several baby giraffes when we were there last September.

Its only about an hour and a half from Cork to Killarney.

I'd pick Killarney over Dingle in February. And I'd stay 3 nights there.

That leaves you with two days to explore the area. For one day I'd just stay in Muckross House and Gardens and take them to Torc Waterfall as well. And then take them in to Killarney Bookshop and Murphy's Ice Cream.

On Day 2 you could either drive the Ring of Kerry and take them to Skellig Chocolate http://www.skelligschocolate.com/ Or over to Dingle and drive the Skellig Drive and spend some time in Dingle town. There is a lovely aquarium there with penguins.

On the day you go to Galway, take the Shannon Ferry www.shannonferries.com - this is great fun and you might even see a dolphin. Then drive up to the Cliffs (if the weather is OK) and on to Galway.

Galway City itself is very vibrant and Leisureland is great for children.

On your way from Galway to Dublin allow yourself a leisurely day and perhaps stop in e.g. Locke's Distillery in Kilbeggan www.kilbeggandistillery.com Its an enjoy able visit for everyone.

Stay near to the airport for your last night. Bewley's Hotel is very child friendly and they have interconnecting rooms on the first floor.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland with small children

En route from Galway to Dublin you can also visit Clonmacnoise - if that type of thing interests you:

discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/clo…

long island,ny
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland with small children

Thanks again for your quick replies. I like your advice and will definitely consider Killarney instead of dingle. Any recommendations on where to stay in Kilkenny, Killarney and Galway? We were told to consider the river court in Kilkenny, as it's very close to the wedding venue at langton house(I think?). I was also looking at ormonde but was told it may be too far to walk from the wedding. In Galway we were considering Galway bay hotel.

long island,ny
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland with small children

Also, any advice on renting a car? Can ww get a car seat/booster seat for my little guy?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,459 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland with small children

For a 6 year old you will need a booster seat and you will also technically need a booster for the 8 year old as well.

I would suggest you e-mail the car hire company and ask them about hiring a booster seat. And we can then juxtapose that against the cost of one here. It might work out either the same or cheaper.

halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/catego…

You say you are going to a family wedding in Kilkenny. Is there any chance that some of those attending the wedding are living in Ireland and may have unused booster seats that they could lend you for your trip? I've given mine away to people who have family coming over with small children. Its a great way of recycling and others saving money.

long island,ny
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland with small children

Unfortunately noone permanently resides in Ireland. If possible, we would like to avoid getting a car in Dublin, as the wedding hosts are hiring a bus for all out of towers coming out of the airport...can we rent a car in Kilkenny??

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,930 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland with small children

Enterprise have an office in Kilkenny for hire cars

www.enterprise.ie/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do…

Edited: 11 January 2013, 13:54