We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Weekend in Europe

New Hyde Park, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Weekend in Europe

My friend and I will be travelling to Europe from 3/28-4/7 (appx 10 days). We have almost definitely decided on Dublin, Munich and Amsterdam but can't decide in which order. Our first stop will be during Easter weekend - arriving Good Friday and leaving early Monday morning to our next stop. We want to have the most "Easter-y" experience to see what it's like in other countries (last year we were at the Vatican with the Pope), but we are afraid of going to a place where everything is closed during our whole trip.

Can anyone give me more information about spending Easter weekend in any of these areas?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Weekend in Europe

If you only have 10 days and are flying in and out of the US, give Dublin a miss. Its far too much. And anyhow lots of things are closed in Ireland on Good Friday.

New Hyde Park, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Weekend in Europe

I'm sorry to hear that, I've been looking forward to going. Maybe we can save it for the end of our trip when things will be open.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Weekend in Europe

Suzanne, I just feel that 10 days really isn't enough for 3 different cities so far apart.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Weekend in Europe

Do your ten days include day of arrival and departure, or are they ten full days on the ground, so to speak?

If the former, you only really have 8 days: follow Bean A's advice, and divide them between Amsterdam and Munich.

Munich might be the place to spend Easter:

http://tinyurl.com/a5fd4fl

Edited: 13 January 2013, 22:08
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Weekend in Europe

If you really want to do 3 then why not - it's only a 2 hour flight from Amsterdam to Dublin. 3 days in each of 3 cities. Maybe avoid going to Dublin first as all the pubs will be closed on Good Friday!!

New Hyde Park, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Weekend in Europe

Good morning! It's really about 10 1/2 days. We took this same trip (to different cities) last April. We fit three cities into 10 days in an extremely efficient way - Rome, Paris, London. We schedule very well, including our travel time, that we didn't miss a single thing. We also had a full day in Paris where we ran out of things to do! We also never once felt rushed.. just have to have a good plan :)

We will be leaving NYC at 11pm on a Thursday and arriving Friday morning appx 9am (depending on which city we go to first). After bringing our bags to the hotel, we go straight out for the day. We need very little sleep, we figure we'll sleep when we get back to NYC as we did last time lol.

Irish_eyes, yes, that's exactly what we do! On our previous trip, we flew from Rome to Paris, then took the railroad from Paris to London. I agree with you about not going to Dublin first when the pubs are closed :(

As for which part of Ireland... I had decided on Dublin, but now some people are suggesting other parts. If I only have 3 days, which city is best to visit and what type of things are there to do?

Thanks for all of these responses :)

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Weekend in Europe

With only 3 days I would stick to Dublin and nearby

8. Re: Easter Weekend in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 06:18