We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
202 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

I know this is probably not a TripAdvisor-worthy subject, but I will try to post anyway. I'm tired of travelling with a heavy full-SLR camera, and would love for my upcoming trip to Ireland to take with me a camera that fits in my pocket that has a great lens for sharp photos, some good optical zoom to it, and can shoot photos and video well in low light. Probably something in the $200 - $400 range would work. If you have a recommendation I would love to hear it. Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

Hi Mike

No suggestions for you myself but maybe the folks on the Travel Gadegts and Gear forum might have advice.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel_Ga…

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
491 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

We have a Panasonic Lumix. They run from $200-400 depending on the model. Any picture I have posted here was shot with it... except the Jamaica ones. Good camera. It even survived a tumble down a stone stairway at Ross Castle. Funny you should mention wanting to ditch your SLR. I just bought one for an upcoming trip to Yellowstone.

Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
202 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

Hi, Thanks for the info on Panasonic. I will look at their cameras. I'm not totally ditching the SLR, but I get tired of lugging the thing and a 300mm camera around everywhere, let alone adding 5+ pounds to my luggage. I am getting spoiled by keeping a small cheapie Casio camera in my pocket, although I know the quality is not quite as good as my Canon EOS SLR, but the convenience is starting to "outweigh" the dropoff in quality.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

Hi again Mike,

My hubbie bought me a Canon ixus a few years ago to get over the issue of my bringing the Eos everywhere with me, he thought it'd be handy to just throw into my handbag etc. But it didn't get much use as I found nothing can compare to taking photos with a 'proper' camera once that's what your used to. I found it wasn't just the quality of the photos, which were actually very good, it just didn't feel right to me! Just my opinion :-)

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,196 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

A few years back we bought a Fuji XP from Costco (it was under 100). It is waterproof (which is good in Ireland!), shockproof and freezeproof. It takes wonderful pictures and very good video as well (not as good as an SLR of course but still very good). The general website for the "Tough" line of cameras is: www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xp/

Edited: 17 January 2013, 15:42
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

IllinoisM, I have a Canon 400D DSLR and yes I agree, I hate to lug it away on hols or indeed sometimes don't care to have it weighing me down if I go away for a day here. I use it mainly for trips where 'photography' is the main focus.

In April, I bought a Canon Ixus 220HS (HS standing for High Sensitivity) It is 12Mpixel which is plenty for me at the moment and it has 5X Optical Zoom which is acceptable. I also notice that the HS takes care of any possible 'shake'when I am using the zoom. It has all the usual Compact camera features but it was a little more expensive than some other manufacturers. I believe I paid €300 for it which would equate to $400 - top of your budget. However, camera costs in Ireland are very inflated, so you may do much better with price in US.

What I really like about it is the battery life. The battery which is provided lasts for days of photography particularly if you are not using the in built flash.

I also really like how compact it is & the generous display is more than adequate.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 15:56
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
498 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

1. Canon S110. Very pocketable. Great camera.

2. Sony RX100 also very nice.

3. Sony RX1 if money is no object. Less pocketable. I want one. A serious point and shoot with a full frame sensor. Has no rival right now.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 17:09
new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

I bought a Kodak Easyshare Mini, rechargeable, camera for less than $70 and an 8 GB memory card for less than $10 on amazon.com. I love it. It is almost the size of a credit card and I was amazed on the quality of the pictures it takes. It is a 10 MP.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g212520-Kilkee_Count…

My photos are 26-30

Edited: 20 January 2013, 21:38
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,279 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

I use my samsung wb650 for a day to day camera with me whilst in Ireland :) I also have a bridge camera but it is quite bulky to carry around.

I enjoy taking photos when in Ireland, anywhere really.

10. Re: Good pocket-sized digital camera for great shots of Ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 06:18