We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire at off-airport location

Denver, Colorado...
1 post
Save Topic
Car hire at off-airport location

I was noticing that to rent a car from a location not at the airport is not only is less expensive but their quote includes all the damage waivers and VATs. Is it worth the savings to take a taxi to and from the airport to the car rental, or is this a huge pain?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire at off-airport location

No pain getting to the airport either by taxi or bus (I assume you mean DUB)?

Thousands have done it before you without any issue.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire at off-airport location

"Is it worth the savings to take a taxi to and from the airport to the car rental, or is this a huge pain?"

Hard to answer without knowing where you're planning on getting the car!

upstate new york
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire at off-airport location

I have the same question. I was looking at Avis and I can choose Dublin airport or a location that says the city center.

Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire at off-airport location

I have a car reserved at Enterprise for €187 at the Dublin airport. There's a €28 fee for airport pickup and I don't know the exact amount for DW, they just gave me a maximum per day. If I book at the enterprise at city center it's €240 with damage waiver and all that jazz. So is it worth €25 savings to have to make the trek to the city center via taxi?

San Diego
Level Contributor
191 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire at off-airport location

By the time you are finished with the taxi ride from the airport, you won't have saved the €25. And you'll have to drive out of the city centre. If you take the car at the airport, you are already out of town and near the motorway.

upstate new york
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire at off-airport location

If we r planning on spending the night in Dublin wouldn't it make sense to rent from the city center location rather than going back to the airport?

San Diego
Level Contributor
191 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire at off-airport location

Well you didn't specify that before, so perhaps it would make sense to pick up in town in that case.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire at off-airport location

I picked up my car at AVis city center. Real easy to get to from my downtown hotel and very easy to get to highway. No need to go back to airport.

9. Re: Car hire at off-airport location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 05:17