We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best flight time

upstate new york
Level Contributor
328 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best flight time

We have decided to vacation in Ireland for 8 days. We would like to fly into Dublin and fly out of Shannon based on TA posts. The cheapest flights from NYC are currently with Aer Lingus. Should we choose a 5:10am arrival or the 8:55am? We've never flown at night so are really unsure how we will handle it, I.e being tired.

Is it too early to arrive at 5 am? We are not planning to rent a car until the following day and I really don't want to drag luggage around for hours until we can have them held at a hotel.

Any suggestions?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best flight time

We're going in June....I vote for the 8:55 arrival time.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,556 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best flight time

Those are the red eye times. Some handle it better than others, up to you.

Come and enjoy.

California
Level Contributor
194 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best flight time

Arrive at 8:55, and by the time you are clear of customs and have made your way into town it will already be mid morning. I'm sure it will be no trouble for your hotel or B&B to hold your bags and then you can go for a nice walk around town, san luggage, and get some lunch before officially checking into your accomodations later.

I applaud you for waiting to rent a car until you've rested a bit

I always make it a point to take a nice long walk on my arrival day; and weather permitting, I try to watch the sunset to help my inner clock begin to adjust to the time change. Dublin is a great walking city.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best flight time

Take the later flight out. You will be flying out of JFK, correct? What day of the week will you be leaving? Will you be working that day? I have flown out of JFK many times and worked 1/2 day (I live 2.5 hours away from airport) and have been fine. I manage to never sleep well on the plane and are amazed at how many actually do.

Yes, I would leave your luggage at the hotel and go for a nice breakfast, go back to the hotel upon check in, have a nap of two hours or so, go back out for an early night. I find that if I get to sleep no later than 11 pm, I am not tired the rest of my trip. Have a great time! Going to look at prices now for myself!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best flight time

going against the grain here but I prefer the 5.25am arrival. that's 12.25 am EST so to me it's just like having a late night. I usually stay up til mid-day have an afternoon nap and then I am good to go.

However, if you can't check in early and leave your bags that might be a game changer - I think it all depends on how you cope with lack of sleep and jetlag.

upstate new york
Level Contributor
328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best flight time

We will be flying in from JFK and we live 4 hours from the airport. So we can depart at 5:30pm or 9:30 pm. My husband won't have a problem sleeping but I will. I'm also not a napper. Either departing time is fine for us, but I am worried about not being able to check in with bags at such an early time.

Thanks for your imput.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best flight time

You have to consider the traffic going out to JFK...if on a workday during rush hour it can be a nightmare! Give yourself plenty of time.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
769 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best flight time

Since you have a relatively short time in Ireland have you thought about just flying in and out of Shannon? Then you can really explore the west coast and save Dublin for another trip.

upstate new york
Level Contributor
328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best flight time

Noseymama

Since you have traveled from NYC to Ireland is $729 non-stop flight within reason? Right now its the cheapest I can find flying into Dublin and out of Shannon.

Edited: 19 January 2013, 14:24
new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best flight time

What month are you going? If it is during the summer, I'd jump on it. You said that you are 4 hours from JFK. Have you looked at flying out of Boston?