We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

Boston...
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

There are historic and scenic places everywhere in Ireland, so no matter which way you turn there's something to do or see. In planning this trip after our first last spring, I realized although we enjoyed all the driving, walking, historic sites etc, the highlights of our trip were the small towns and villages where we spent time and got to feel a part place. So instead of planning exact routes around a perfect base for jumping off for touring, or thoroughly seeing every site in a given region, I thought maybe I should consider planning around towns with a good vibe and the rest will follow.

So I throw it out for discussion: name your favorite small town in the Southeast. I realize the size of the town is subjective so here's a guide to help: on the Northerly route we loved Westport, Donegal and Ardara. Not crazy about Sligo- a little hectic. Strandhill was very nice but very quiet, but we were there in shoulder season and were high tailing away fromSligo at the time. Bushmills was nice and very enjoyable but we met more tourists than locals. We are travelling in May if that affects your opinion.

So what do you say?

Bug

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

Title says southwest but narrative says southeast. Which is it? I think from prior posts it's probably southwest but please clarify. Thanks.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,544 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

Not too difficult a question to answer, but be prepared for a wide variety of responses. Here are mine (cities and villages excluded as requested)

Towns:

Skibbereen (Cork)

Glengarriff (Cork)

Clonakilty (Cork)

Killarney (Kerry)

Kenmare (Kerry)

Dingle (Kerry)

Large Villages:

Baltimore (Cork)

Castletownsend (Cork)

Courtmacsherry (Cork)

Rosscarbery (Cork)

Ballydehob (Cork)

Schull (Cork)

Ballyvaughan (Clare)

Doolin (Clare)

Corrofin (Clare)

Sneem (Kerry)

Waterville (Kerry)

Cahersiveen (Kerry)

Glenbeigh (Kerry)

Boston...
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

opps, so sorry-thanks Kilty for pointing out my mistake. Yes, I do mean the Southwest. I got sidetracked because I was looking at some guides that showed beautiful places South of Dublin down to Waterford and I got sidetracked, of course. But yes, I've decided we are going Southwest, and I'll plan for the Southeast on the plane home next time :)

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

Towns:

Clonakilty

Dingle

Kenmare

Villages

Ballydavid

Ardgroom

Ballinskelligs

Roscarberry

Castletownsed

Crookhaven

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

End of May ..Ennis for the Fledh Then.. Any of the others listed not beginning with D.

6. Re: Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 January 2013, 18:46
Boston...
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

Great- just what I was looking for. Thanks so much! Hahaha Tony... I get three guesses as to the "D" town and the first two don't count :)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

There are two "D" listed that would fall into the category into which the OP placed Bushmills. any further comment would cause the usual outcry.

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

Dingle! Loved it!

Boston...
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Name your favorite small towns in the Southwest

One D mentioned and anther to go :) and as it happens Dingle is on my list. Seriously, these suggestions are great. I've done a some research on a few already and will probably switch things up a bit to stay overnight in a couple extra places rather picking two or three as bases. We pack light so that's not an issue and of we get attached to a place we can try to stay longer. I think the first three nights I will book ahead though, as it looks likethe first weekend in May is a holiday weekend with Monday off, which could mean some places will be booked up. Thanks again

Bug