We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland in 7 days

charleston, sc
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland in 7 days

Looking for suggestions. Want to visit Ireland in late September> What type of weather should we expect. Also, looking for suggestions to visit Ireland in 7 days and include Dubling and Blarney

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,219 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland in 7 days

Where are you flying in and out of?

What are your interests?

Will you be hiring a car or using public transport?

At the moment its difficult to forecast the weather for the end of the week, let alone the end of September. It might be wet, it might be dry. It might be sunny, it might be overcast. It might be windy, it might be calm. Temperatures will PROBABLY range from about 10C to 15C.

charleston, sc
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland in 7 days

I think Dublin at the moment. Our interests are history, being with locals (away from the beaten paths), food, and shopping.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland in 7 days

We are doing 8 days and June..;-) all reservations are made.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
150 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland in 7 days

Seems like Blarrney sets your course south; I'd look at the area between Dublin and Limerick, with points south and east - Ring of Kerry/Dingle Peninsula, Skelligs, Rock of Cashel, Bantry Bay, maybe sneak a little north of Dublin for Newgrange.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,710 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Dingle Peninsula
Dingle Peninsula
County Kerry, Ireland
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,230 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Bantry
Bantry
County Cork, Ireland
Newgrange
Newgrange
513 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland in 7 days

We did 8 nights in Ireland last week. Flew into Dublin arrived at 6Am, received rental car and headed south to Kilkenny for one night, Kenmare one night, Dingle two nights, Galway two nights, drop car back at car rental in Dublin and stay in Dublin for two nights. Going to try to write up the whole trip and what worked well and what didnt. Most of it worked well by the way... best trip ever!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland in 7 days

OH please write up a report! That's exactly what we want to do the end of September. We're thinking 2 nights in Dublin at the start (with a half day spent on tour at Wicklow, Glendalough), then Kilkenny, then Killarney, Dingle and Galway, then back to Dublin for a night. Or maybe the reverse order! Did you like having 2 nights in Dingle? Did you see anything of Killarney national park? Was the drive from Dingle to Galway a really long day (with the Cliffs included?)

Can't wait to hear more.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
County Wicklow
County Wicklow
Province of Leinster, Ireland
The Glendalough Hotel
The Glendalough Hotel
582 Reviews
Glendalough Village, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland in 7 days

obsession I sent you a private message..;_) May be a while for my wirite up but can message you tons of good tips!

New York
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
845 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland in 7 days

"OH please write up a report! That's exactly what we want to do the end of September. We're thinking 2 nights in Dublin at the start (with a half day spent on tour at Wicklow, Glendalough), then Kilkenny, then Killarney, Dingle and Galway, then back to Dublin for a night. Or maybe the reverse order! Did you like having 2 nights in Dingle? Did you see anything of Killarney national park? Was the drive from Dingle to Galway a really long day (with the Cliffs included?) "

Above quoted is essentially a trip I've made repeatedly before and generally repeating along with more this year. I'd suggest Wicklow, Glendalough gets its own day. Here's another's perspective if it helps. I'd do Killarney National Park and Ring of Kerry each for a day (on TA and all over the internet what's core there is well laid out. In the choice of towns, I'd pick almost anywhere over highly touristy bus laden trinket town Killarney, e.g. Kenmare/Killorglin/Kells shore.

I would, if we're talking roughly a week in Ireland, save Galway for another trip getting me a second day around the Dingle peninsula, and, using a slightly off the beaten track coastal b&b do the area around Cliffs of Moher and Burren (if possible for two nights as well) with about half a dozen great smaller villages in the area offering much to see and do. I would absolutely not return to Dublin, but depart from Shannon, saving precious time and needless car travel. All these options are easily clarified using TA's vast "library" info and the larger internet, followed by travel books and YouTube.

Seeing less well is preferable to touching too much and missing out on a primary element in Irish travel, space to enjoy the locals and relax a bit here or there as will seem altogether fitting in the moment. To achieve what I've written, I'd consider chopping a Dublin day or adding a bit of time to my vacation as a preference, but everything's of course, subjective.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 16:28
Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
County Wicklow
County Wicklow
The Glendalough Hotel
The Glendalough Hotel
582 Reviews
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Killarney National Park
Killarney National Park
5,963 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,710 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killorglin
Killorglin
County Kerry, Ireland
Kells
Kells
County Meath, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
The Dingle Peninsula
The Dingle Peninsula
681 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
The Burren
The Burren
County Clare, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland in 7 days

Thanks for your advice! The flights in and out of Dublin are booked, so I'm stuck with what I have, but we wouldn't have to leave the west coast until mid-afternoon on Saturday, get to Dublin dinner time to drop off the car and check into a hotel. Our flight is at 10 a.m. Sunday. I am regretting having to spend 3 nights out of 8 in Dublin but oh well. Next time we'll fly in and out of Shannon!

I feel that Ring of Kerry could be dropped in lieu of the national park and Dingle. Right now: 2 nights Dublin (includes Wicklow/Glendalough), I night Kilkenny, 1 night Killarney area (a town nearby), 1 night Dingle, 1 night Doolin, 1 night Galway, 1 night Dublin. I know that many posters will recommend 2 nights somewhere . . . so hard to do with so much to see!

I said a half day to Wicklow amd Glendalough because it seems the tours I looked at were about 5 hours? We thought we'd do a tour this day to combat jet lag before retrieving the car. Maybe we should bag the second night Dublin, head out on Sunday on our own in a car for Wickow and Glendaloough and get to Kilkenny a night earlier? That would buy us an extra night on the west side somewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,710 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
County Wicklow
County Wicklow
The Glendalough Hotel
The Glendalough Hotel
582 Reviews
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland in 7 days

One more question . . . if we stay in Doolin 2 nights instead of going up to Galway, how much time would that add to our drive back to Dublin? I don't feel the need to see Galway on this trip, just wanted the convenience for the return drive.

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland