We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage for travel between Ireland & Scotland

NY,NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage for travel between Ireland & Scotland

I am planning a trip that includes Ireland and Scotland.

I will plan the two parts separately and I have seen some comments on the luggage fees for travel between Ireland and Scotland.

I will be coming for 2 weeks in total so I will have quite a bit of luggage. US Airways will allow a large hold bag and quite a large cabin bag for the transatlantic leg but I've heard that the domestic european airlines will not allow any cabin bag if you have a laptop too, is this true?

I am sure others have come up against this problem but i don't see any specific advice. Any advice?

I have seen some advice to take a ferry but I do not want to spend so much time traveling between ireland and Scotland.

Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
673 reviews
from US$80.90*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour and Galway from...
540 reviews
from US$56.00*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,203 reviews
from US$62.30*
Best Seller
Blarney Castle and Cork Day Trip from...
1,056 reviews
from US$68.50*
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,725 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage for travel between Ireland & Scotland

Hi nyc159

The baggage situation varies depending on who you have booked your flight with?

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,254 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage for travel between Ireland & Scotland

Reams of details here on Aer Lingus (and Aer Arann) and the various combinations and permutations re luggage for their various flights.

Better get familiar with metric measurements, too:

aerlingus.com/travelinformation/…

And, Ryanair:

www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions

Please note, as a non-EU/EEA passport holder (I'm guessing), there is a special instruction under Check In (Section 6: 6.4) on the Ryanair web site

that you need to be aware of, if you choose that airline for your Ireland Scotland journeys.

NY,NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage for travel between Ireland & Scotland

Thanks guys.

Uasal I'm guessing then that it is even more restrictive than I feared for non-EU persons. Looks like I will be charged a lot extra to take my luggage to Scotland unless I arrive in ireland from the USA with the domestic amount of luggage.

I have done some research at the links you supplied.

Technically because I'm not making a connection I am "originating" in Ireland so I have no "right" to bring my transatlantic amount of luggage with me to scotland.

Has anyone any advice to get around this?

California
Level Contributor
194 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage for travel between Ireland & Scotland

Take less luggage. Or take the ferry to Scotland from Belfast/Larne.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage for travel between Ireland & Scotland

Ryanair let you take 15 or 20kg checked luggage and 1 piece of 10kg carry on luggage. You have to pay extra for the checked luggage but the fares can be so low that the journey is still cheap. Just look at it as a part of the total cost.

Aer Lingus are much the same with luggage

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,740 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage for travel between Ireland & Scotland

With a lot of baggage the Rail/Coach and Sail option might make better sense

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/coach/

7. Re: Luggage for travel between Ireland & Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 07:18