We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing into Northern Ireland

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing into Northern Ireland

A promiment British newspaper today revealed an article about the problems encountered by tourists flying into the Southern Ireland and travelling in Northern Ireland.

Personally I never considered this matter as I figured that most tourists were educated and intelligent enough to realise that Northern Ireland is in fact the United Kingdom and only by the fact it is attached to Ireland is why its called Northern Ireland.

They said that shopkeepers have been going blue in the face with tourists paying for items in Euro and not understanding that Euro is not accepted in the north. The tourists actually thought that Northern Ireland was in fact just a province of Ireland even though we all know its Ulster.

Police at the same time are being shocked at the speed of people on motorways and regional roads. They cannot understand why the tourists are driving so slow until they pull them over. This is as most of the signs in the North do not display that the speed is MPH. They simply just state the speed.

This is the TA opinion on the cross border:

There is no discernible border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland so no passport is needed when driving from one country into the other. Be aware, however, that once you cross the "border" into Northern Ireland speed limits and distances will be shown in miles (kilometres in the Republic). Northern Ireland uses pounds sterling, the currency in the Republic is Euro.

You must also check that you car rental Insurance covers you to leave the country. Irish rental Insurance has no jurisdiction in the UK so you may not be covered unless otherwise stated.

Your phone card will not work in the north.

Your money will most of the time not be accepted unless on border counties and towns.

Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing into Northern Ireland

Fair play, Bertie. I thought it would have been something that people would automatically realise as well. With the way your spotting stuff, do you really need the laser treatment? :-)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing into Northern Ireland

bertie, i am shocked that people could be that misinformed...there are about 200-24 who travel annually to ireland and we know all of these things you mentioned and we knew them after our first trip....

it was good of you to post this as i would never have thought of doing so...we are well educated here and use the web regularly and i can't imagine how someone traveling there would not know these things...

shocking!!! just like the terrrible exchange rate in n.i.....hehehehe...

wishing you quick healing with your eyes....

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing into Northern Ireland

Would just add that in a lot of towns close to the border eg Newry, a lot of shopkeepers are quite happy to accept Euros as payment and usualy have the exchange rate on display.

In fact in Newry there are ATMs that dispense Euros.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing into Northern Ireland

Bertie ,what are you talking about? What does the following statement mean?

"and only by the fact it is attached to Ireland is why its called Northern Ireland"

Didn't you know that it is called Northern Ireland because it is located on the island of Ireland and it is situated on the northern half of Ireland - to state that it is "attached to Ireland" is a load of nonsense!

When any northerner, of whatever political persuasion, crosses the border they do not talk about crossing into "Ireland". They use phrases like "going south" or "going down to the Republic". Ireland means the whole island! To use the word to describe the Republic only is, frankly, insulting. And by the way, Ulster includes three counties located in the republic, and to use it in the context of Northern Ireland is to display an incredible amount of ignorance, and might come as a little bit of a surprise to people in Donegal, Cavan & Monaghan.

Just for the record, when you cross the border, there are signs advising that speed limits are displayed in "miles per hour" at ALL crossings. I wonder if you have ever been north of the border. To accept at face value some article in a British newspaper, that gives the impression that it is commonplace to see tourists driving very slowly because they do not know they are in a different jurisdiction is just laughable. I drive here every day and have never seen this, nor have I ever heard of the phenomenon. Also while it is true that small privately owned shops may not accept the Euro, it is the exception rather than the rule. The multiples invariably do. (Well run businesses have no problems with this). However they generally do not accept coins, as the banks won't process them - but in the Republic sterling coins are rarely accepted also. The article you have cited isn't anything like a true picture.

Are you a Sun reader by any chance?

5. Re: Crossing into Northern Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2009, 15:16