We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange

Delaware, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Currency Exchange

Just wanted an opinion on where it is best to exchange. Should I try to watch exchange rates and get Euro over in the U.S. prior to traveling to Ireland or just wait until I get there. Also, is there a possibility that the exchange rate between Euro and U.S. dollar would be better in the summer? I watched the rates go down over the last two months and I'm just wondering.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange

Your rate watching must be depressing stuff these days - the Euro hit an all time high against the dollar yesterday I think - I hear there is talk of a reduction in US interest rates - or at least a halt in their growth as way of trying to stimulate the economy and currency.

From travelling in the US I always found it difficult to find places to exchange currency and I think a little bit more expensive - but not so much that its a strong memory! However changing money in Ireland is easier as there a plenty of outlets - every bank in the country will have a 'bureau de change' that will exchange foreign currency - for a fee of course! (this fee is usually waived for older customers - not sure if you need to have an account at the bank to avail of this)

I find I exchange some of the cash I need for a trip in Ireland before I leave as my bank will change back any unused currency after my trip for no fee. Then I use ATM machines whereever I am travelling to to keep me solvent.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange

If you are taking travellers cheques, then try to get them in Euro denominations from your bank in the US. I think I am correct in stating that banks in Ireland charge a commision for travellers cheques but do not apply this to cheques denominated in Euros. That certainly used to be the case. Also as these are fairly widely accepted in shops and hotels you can probably expect to exchange them at such outlets, free of commision, also, particularly if you are paying for goods and services. Generally the best exchange rates are obtained from the 4 main banks, namely Bank of Ireland, Allied Irish Banks, National Irish Bank and Ulster Bank. Their rates will be broadly similar, certainly not worth shopping around for, unless you are exchanging very large amounts. Having said all of that, if it were me I would personally use an ATM card, simply for the convenience, as the charges are preferable to queueing in banks during valuable holiday time. If your bank card is Maestro/Cirrus compatible then you will be able to use it in thousands of locations all over Ireland.