We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
41 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

We are 3 travellers planning one week (Wed-Wed) in Ireland. I have been to Dublin several times and to Galway once, but not the surrounding areas. The plan this time is to explore the west coast, however we are flying in and out of Dublin. I have created a sample itinerary as described below but would appreciate any tips, advice and/or suggestions from others who know the area(s) well! We will have a rental car and will stay in B&B's or hostels (budget accomodation).

Drive Dublin to Limerick, spend first night in Limerick.

Drive Limerick to Ennis. Spend some time in Ennis area and then head up to the cliffs of Moher later that day or could spend a night in Ennis if we really like it. (Am i crazy to skip Kerry? it just seems like too much for only a week to do all. Could possibly hit Killarney or Tiperary before Limerick?)

Drive to Galway. Spend 2 nights in Galway. Possibly make a trip over to the Aran islands (depending on weather).

Possibly hit a town in Mayo before heading back to Dublin Only if time allows.

Really appreciate your feedback!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,300 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

Some observations - and bear in mind that all of us posting here are individuals and come from different backgrounds with different likes and dislikes and different life experiences....

1. If you are not planning to do anything in Limerick then why bother staying here? Drive on. Ennis is only a further 20 minutes out the motorway.

2. Are you crazy to miss Kerry? Google image the different places and have a think about it. I personally need a Kerry fix every so often to keep me happy. (This week's Kerry fix was breaking into a box of Skelligs chocolate while looking at photos of various places). If I had an easy choice of the Dingle Peninsula or Doolin and the Cliffs of Moher, I'd take the Dingle Peninsula.

3. Galway is lovely. The city is a buzzing place. But the scenery outside Galway is spectacular. One of my favourite places in the country (there are a few, mind!!) is the village of Kinvara in South Co. Galway (off the main Limerick to Galway road). Any time we go to Galway I divert on the way home via Kinvara and spend even 10 minutes there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinvara

Clifden is in Connemara and it is beautiful as well. And there is spectacular scenery in the surrounding area including Kylemore Abbey www.kylemoreabbey.com and Killary Harbour: Ireland's only Fjord.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,688 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

With a week you can do a lot of nothing or a bit of something. No harm at all drawing a triangle pivot at Dublin and points Limerick and Westport/Sligo. You will find that area just as good as Kerry and more likely to mix with the locals. Ennis is the place I always give as a touring base for County Clare, Galway is also good option to explore and I am of course biased towards the north and west Connemara. Achill island would be a really good spot before returning to Dublin with a possible stop in the Midlands.

3. Re: One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 01:40
Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
41 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

Bean A ,thanks for the tip that Limerick and nnis are so close, i wasn't aware. Is it not worth staying in Limerick then? We won't be setting off from Dublin until around 2 in the afternoon so didn't want to go too far on day one.

Had rulked out the dingle peninsula as thought it was too far but will have another look.

tony2phones mixing with locals ALWAYS makes a trip better so sounds like the plan might work :)

Thanks for the tips!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,300 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

JustRose, Limerick is an interesting city, its got lots of history (King John's Castle, The Treaty Stone) Lots of great pubs (Dolans, The various Flannery Pubs, Clohessys, Souths etc) and excellent Rugby (Munster Rugby Team and Thomond Park) and lots more.

BUT I always believe in tightening things up as much as possible - and with Ennis only being down the motorway from Limerick, and if you are planning to head there anyhow, there's no point in stopping off!! You already have a fairly tight schedule.

You're only in Basel so you can come back again and visit us.

Killarney is 90 minutes from Limerick, 3h50 from Dublin according to AA roadwatch. But then AA Roadwatch say Dublin is 2h21 from Limerick and we regularly do it in 2 hours.

Dingle is just over 2 hours from Limerick. So it would be about 4.5 hours from Dublin.

Taylors, South...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

My wife and I just completed a week in Ireland, flying into and out of Dublin. We rented a car, and after staying the first night in Dublin, drove to Galway, seeing Atherny on the way. After seeing Galway and Salthill, we stayed at a B&B in Oranmore called The Birches.

Next day we drove the route to the Cliffs of Moher, seeing Dunguaire Castle on the way. After the Cliffs, we checked out the Rock Shoppe a little out from the Cliffs, then Bunratty Castle, and on into Limerick for King Johns Castle and the Cathedral there. Started to get dark so we drove on down ro Killarney and stayed at Rockfield House B&B.

Next day we drove the Ring of Kerry (in the snow), seeing Ross Castle, Muckross Abbey, Torc Falls and the many coastal villages, driving back to Killarney.

Last travel day we drove back to Dublin via Cork area seeing Blarney Castle, Mallow Castle, Rock of Cashel and Kells Priory, then back to Dublin to spend the last day visiting the city.

All in all it was a very memorable trip, seeing quite a bit of the southwest. Only 2 things I really wanted to dothat we didnt get a chance to were the Dingle drive and West Cork.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

hello,

i was looking for some information and inspiration regarding a week in ireland, I am about to fly into belfast and have one week to circumnavigate the whole country in one week by myself.. I know its a bit of a task, but it wont be the first time I've done something stupid. Im hoping to see a lot, but not everything. I am not a huge city person, I prefer small towns and nice landscapes on the open road but I do plan on visiting a night in each of the following towns... 1. belfast 2. donegal 3. galway 4. cork 5. dublin and then back to belfast to fly out to London again. Its going to be rushed but if you have any particular highlights or recommendations that would be great !! hope you had a great trip.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,688 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

14 days is a Minimum to drive round 70% of the Island.. Even the comedy club called Tourism Ireland recon 10 days minimum. Concentrate on the area above an imaginary line between Galway and Dublin. anything else needs a Helicopter and pilot for the week.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

haha yes I know it sounds crazy, but last year I was riding a motorbike across australia in 5 days.. so where there is a will, there is a way. Wish me luck.

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One week itinerary route in mind, suggestions welcome!

I agree that you should skip Limerick and head for Ennis since your time is limited. Definitely spend time in Galway City and Connemara. The Leenane, Galway to Louisburgh, Mayo drive is nice also. Westport is a beautiful town in Mayo with great pubs and entertainment. If you are interested there is the Museum of Country Life Museum in Castlebar, Mayo. I agree with tony2phones that Achill Island is well worth the visit. The view of Keem beach on Achill is breathtaking.