We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

length of trip

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
length of trip

We're planning an August trip to Ireland and need to decide exactly how long a trip to take. We're semi-retired so don't have to do a whirlwind 14 day itinerary. I'm starting with Rick Steves' 22 day itinerary because it was the only longer one I could find.

We'd like to do it in a slightly more leisurely fashion and maybe take in some additional sights he didn't include. We'll start with 4 days in Dublin, then rent a car to drive around Ireland and Northern Ireland. We're thinking of something between 31 and 34 days. Your thoughts? Thanks.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: length of trip

My thoughts? If I was semi retired and could presumably choose my holiday dates, , unless there is an event you particularly want to go to. I wouldnt pick August, I would go in September.

With four weeks I would go for at least one week in one spot with a cottage rental, moving every couple of days starts to pall, and it would give you a chance to get to know an area really well and do some laundry.

You could plan a week in each of the four provinces.

California
Level Contributor
194 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: length of trip

Some more details about your areas of interest will help the friendly folks here to better tailor their responses to your question. Do you like hiking, museums, shopping, history, foodie stuff - that sort of thing.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: length of trip

Here is a trip report from last year, involving 17 full days on the ground (that is, excluding day of arrival and departure), part of which includes Northern Ireland.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k54707…

And, a 13-day trip here, again includes NI:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k54925…

And, finally a trip report on a Month in Ireland (partly work-related) starting and ending in Belfast:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k55952…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: length of trip

You might want to see some places other than those St Richard of Steves likes. You know the places people who read real guide books quite like.

Rant Over...Yes have a look through some good impartial guide books and consider what you yourselves would like to see and do, The easy way is to say you have 4 weeks, Ireland has 4 Provinces so the division is easy. Plus a few days in Dublin for arrival and departure.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: length of trip

Thanks for the links--I'll check them out.

Going in September isn't an option; we're Jewish and need to be home for the High Holy Days.

We like history, scenic walks and drives, learning about what makes one spot different from the one down the road, factory tours of local products. Shopping, not so much. We love Irish music; our city claims to have the biggest Irish music festival in the world--don't know if the claim is true, but Irish Fest here is great.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: length of trip

Corey orLiam at Irish Fireside are the men to ask about the Irishfest near you

http://irishfireside.com/about-2/

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: length of trip

Wherever you choose would recommend you take in Listowel on your travels if only as it contains Ireland's only public monument to those who died in the Holocaust.

www.hetireland.org/index.php…

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: length of trip

OK, given that you're going with August, it's not all bad!!

You'll be able to take advantage of Heritage Week, which this year runs from Saturday 17th through Sunday 25th August:

http://www.heritageweek.ie

Numerous events - countrywide and mostly free - will be added on a county-by -county basis between now and then.

If you have any interest in seeing Gaelic Football or Hurling matches, August is reaching 'peak season', ahead of All-Ireland Finals in September:

gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/month/2013/08/

The Gathering Ireland 2013 is a year-long celebration, under which festivals and any number of other events are being highlighted:

thegatheringireland.com/….UQKWFaVQWfg

The city of Derry/Londonderry in Northern Ireland is the City of Culture for 2013:

http://www.cityofculture2013.com

August Events can be checked here:

www.cityofculture2013.com/events/page/17/

P.S. You might also like to visit The Jewish Museum in Dublin:

http://jewishmuseum.ie

Edited: 25 January 2013, 14:34
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: length of trip

Fleadh Cheoil na hEireann - the All-Ireland Festival of Irish Music - will take place in Derry/Londonderry from 12th-18th August in 2013:

http://www.fleadhcheoil.ie

Edited: 25 January 2013, 14:37
Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
517 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: length of trip

My first thought..... LUCKY!!! Five weeks in Ireland. Can't wait until I'm semi retired. I love the west coast, espcially Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula. That said, check out this place we stayed at near Sneem on ROK. www.irishdream cottage.com This place is beautiful. And reasonably priced. It is within driving of Beara Peninsula, Killarney, Kenmare, and even Dingle is less than two hours away. I hope you have an awesome trip!!!