We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working on Itinerary

Tompkins,SK
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Working on Itinerary

I'm looking for suggestions and advice on the following itinerary.

Arrive from Copenhagen into Dublin Sept 6 @ 10:35am. Pick up rental car and drive to Ballycastle,UK. B&B.

Sept 7:Giants Causeway, Carrick a Rede, Glenariff National Forest, B&B by Cerrickfergus Check out Island Magee

Sept 8 Belfast-Titanic Museum

Louth- Festival of Gaelic Games, B&B

Sept 9/10 Bru Na Boinne, Hill of Tara, Dublin B&B 2 Nights

Sept 11 Irish National Stud, Dunmore Caves, Kilkenny B&B

Sept 12 Waterford Harvest Festival, Rock of Cashel, Skibbereen- A Taste of West Cork Festival, B&B

Sept 13 Portmagee, Skellig Michael, B&B

Sept 14/15 Dingle Penninsula, Tradfest, Du Chaoin, Listowel Festival

B&B 2 nights

Sept 16 Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, B&B Clifden

Sept 17 Kylemore Abbey, Ashford Castle B&B around Castlebar

Sept 18 Ciede Fields, return to Galway-Hurling Festival if time

Sept 19 Bunratty castle and medieval feast

Sept 20 Killarney Festival of Fire, B&B Shannon

Sept 21 Fly out of Shannon

One of those B&B's would like to do an authentic castle stay with the stone walls, not fancy. Any suggestions? Is this too much? We may never get back so this is why we are trying to cram so much in. It is just my daughter and I, 2 adults.

Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kilkenny Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working on Itinerary

Are you staying in Dingle one night, then Listowel the next. It makes no sense to backtrack from Listowel to Dingle

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working on Itinerary

Du Chaoin, is Dingle so leave Listowel until the drive north. I am a big fan of Clifden but being honest with you driving there from out on DP makes too long a drive. Split this trip in Kinvara/Galway/Spiddal. Killarney Festival of Fire would be cut off my list, there is no point in dropping all the way back down, make better use of your time above Shannon.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working on Itinerary

Hi, not sure I understand the 12th. Are you going to Waterford, Cashel and then to Skibbereen leaving from Kilkenny? I'd skip Skibbereen and stay in Kinsale or if the festival in Waterford is good, then stay there. The weekends are usually the main attractions at the Taste of West Cork.

Tompkins,SK
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Working on Itinerary

Thank you for your suggestions. For the Dingle peninsula we thought of staying in Dingle and traveling around, going to Listowel on our way north. After reviewing the day to Killarney, I think a bit more time in Galway, possibly going to Trad on the Prom on the 19th and doing Bunratty Castle on the 20th.

I'm not sure what order we will do the 12th, but will probably skip Skibbereen.

Tompkins,SK
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Working on Itinerary

I'm thinking 16th Ferry from Tarbert to Kilrush, Cliffs of Moher, Burren, stay in Castlebar

17th Ceide Fields stay in Clifden

!8th Kylemore Abbey, Ashford Castle, Turrin Castle stay around Galway

19th Galway Trrad on the Prom show

20 Craggaunowen, Bunratty castle and Medieval supper

21 Fly out of Shannon

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Working on Itinerary

Instead of paying good money for a Salthill Tourist Show spend a bit of time in Clifden for free Arts Week entertainment, http://clifdenartsweek.ie/

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Working on Itinerary

Instead of Dunmore caves,which are a bit of a disappointment as caves go, I find, seeing as you will be going almost past the door, I'd check out Mitchelstown caves,which,despite the name are much closer to Cahir.

8. Re: Working on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 06:18