We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

Save Topic
Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

I know that in the 80's (according to family who traveled to Ireland) wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland was unwise as it could potentially mark you as a target. Is this still a problem today? I happen to love the color green and wear it a lot. (Not that I think about my wardrobe much when on vacation.)

Should I eliminate these colors from my attire when traveling to Northern Ireland or is it really no longer a problem?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,613 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

Might be a risk of being laughed at in public if your outfit contains all 3, maybe.

Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

No, not planning on that. Lol. I wouldn't wear red, white and blue in the States. I just look good in green, so I wear it a lot.

This sounded like a silly precaution to me, but I've never traveled abroad alone, (or at all, actually) and I thought I'd ask.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

No - definitely not a problem!

The only time people might even think of it would be on a key day or in a certain place. For example if you dressed all in orange on 12th July - it might look as if you were making a statement (and people would assume you were of a loyalist/unionist persuasion). If Armagh were playing in a big football match (Gaelic football) a few days later and you were in Armagh or wherever the match was and wearing all orange, then it might look as if you were an Armagh GAA supporter (and therefore almost certainly NOT of a loyalist/unionist persuasion)!!!

Confused?!!!

So basically where whatever colour you like:)

Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying! :)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,031 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

And obviously if you wear mainly purple with some yellow spots, people will confuse you with Barney the Dinosaur.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

Funny you should say that, if you are concerned or self conscious about what other people think then perhaps you should definately avoid wearing anything green or orange.......we know how touchy some people can be and we don't want to offend anyone now do we, lol.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

There is a difference between being self-conscious in terms of fashion and being a target for a hostile reception. Whilst the OP is a good bit off the mark with their query, there is some logic to the context of the question.

Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

Thank you.

Like I said, in the 80's, I had family who took a school-organized trip to Ireland and that was something they were told. I didn't think it was still relevant today (it sounded silly to me) but they insisted I ask, so I did.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

So you joined to start this thread. Let's hope the you also post serious questions

Well I wouldn't wear yellow with orange, such bright colours do not suit the Irish climate.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,031 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wearing green, yellow or orange in Northern Ireland?

Alexandra, there is a saying here "dúirt bean liom go dúirt bean eile" meaning "a woman told me that another woman said"

Just because someone was told something in the 1980s doesn't mean that what they were told was accurate.

In the 1970's my mother told me there was a tooth fairy.......