We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel between London and Ireland

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
travel between London and Ireland

How is the train/ferry between London and Ireland? We would like to fly to London, spend two days there and then travel to Ireland for a 5-7 stay. Any help is helpful.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,636 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: travel between London and Ireland

I've never had a problem on the Ulysses. We've always found the staff incredibly pleasant and helpful. And as for food - we've always found it fine, but regardless its a 3.5 hour trip not a 3.5 DAY trip.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: travel between London and Ireland

Ever been Rail and sail Bean?

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: travel between London and Ireland

I've been both Stena and Irish Ferries, and both are good, and both have their VIP lounges with complimentary wine and canapés - not a rip off by the time I've finished, I'd say...

But for my money, the larger Ulysses is the more glamorous ship to travel on, that's why I lead with the IF option.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: travel between London and Ireland

Not commission based? man_in_seat_61 or man in seat 61.. coincidence surely.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,636 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: travel between London and Ireland

Tony I have sailed often enough to know what I am talking about.

Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them wrong.

16. Re: travel between London and Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 February 2013, 13:33
Ireland
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: travel between London and Ireland

If in the course of your visit you're planning to visit Waterford city or Wexford town you may wish to consider using the rail and sea route from London Paddington to Rosslare via Fishguard. Some very nice scenery in West Wales. The high speed train from London to Cardiff/Swansea has a carriage with at seat tv (free to use). There's catering too. Change to the boat train at Cardiff/Swansea (the timetable will say which).

All-in tickets London Paddington to Rosslare are available and the trains and ship connect very well. Tickets can be also be bought in person at stations but if bought on the day of travel the ticket is dearer.

To get an idea of times:

stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/fishguard/

Detailed times:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

Fares & tickets:

http://arrivatrainswales.co.uk/SailRail/

There's a bus to Waterford and Wexford from every Fishguard ferry arrival at Rosslare. Times here:

buseireann.ie/pdf/1349425370-WatWex.pdf

There's also a train to Dublin and places along the way (e.g. Wicklow) out of the overnight ferry arriving at Rosslare at 06.15. The train departs the port at 07.20 (not Sundays)

Timetable here:

irishrail.ie/media/08-DublinRosslareEuroport…

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: travel between London and Ireland

Tony, commission is exactly the same whichever ferry company people use. I have nothing to gain either way.

And unbusiness-minded as I am, you'll find shedloads of examples of me getting commission from company or website A whilst actually recommending that people use company or website B because its better for people. I start with what I think is best for the traveller, or try to, as I see it in my own experience, usually backed up and cross-referenced by the feedback I get.

So I show both Stena and IF options, I even show photos of both ships, fares and info for both Stena and IF but I prefer the Ulysses having done both, so i lead with that.

Also, I have no problem with a good ol' double decker bus, especially if I get the top deck front seats as I did last time I used it, although last time was on business with a colleague so we taxied it.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: travel between London and Ireland

Must be nice to get out quickly and be able to dash upstairs into the front, some people have to manage getting the cattle wagon having waited for the baggage carousel, so getting on with more passengers than is probably legal, all the pushchairs and baggage (some of which would fit ur granny in). having the driver telling the 20+ that won't fit that there isn't another bus not giving change for €10 notes never mind anything bigger (I paid for the old dear in front and myself because she didn't have change).

That was last December, not peak season and I was on the Ulysses because it sails after the Adventurer and the trains had been delayed so the 11 Stena Rail and Sail were transferred onto the slightly later Ulysses crossing. I can assure you I made doubly sure I was not going to fall for that coming back last month.

Seat 61 defaults to Irish Ferries, (Dublin Port) for a more pleasant (or any) level of customer service book Rail and Sail with Stena Line, state Dublin Connolly station, Book Direct stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/holyhead/ or http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

There are companies of all types that I do not use but very few I directly advise against less still that I detest with a vengeance!

20. Re: travel between London and Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 06:18