We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip itinerary finalized!! comments or must sees welcome

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trip itinerary finalized!! comments or must sees welcome

finally just booked the last place for our easter week vacation with the help of everyone on here. Figured i would share the final itinerary and see what your comments are and any tweaks or other things we should try to see. Ill put an idea of what we are looking to check out in each area. thanks for all your help!!

ps- this trip will be me and my girlfriend.

day 1 - march 28th - fly out of new york at 9pm

day 2 - march 29th(good friday) - arrive in dubline at 815am, pick up rental car, drive to see new grange, from there drive to belfast. Booked the benedicts hotel for a night (things we want to see: titanic exhibition, black taxi cab, pubs)

day 3 - march 30 - booked cul erg B & B in portstewart for two nights - head up there via the antrim coast road leaisurely drive stopping along way for any sites that are there. ((things we want to see: causeway, rope bridge, dunluce castle, portbradden, bushmills tour, bushmills inn)

day 4 - still in portstewart - check out anything we didn't get to see day before was thinking maybe save bushmills tour for this day and take cab there if possible so can enjoy the tour and drink and get lunch or dinner in bushmills inn which i heard is nice. also may go hang in derry in the morning and walk walls

day 5 - leave portstewart to visit my girlfriends cousin in lifford, stop in derry along way if we haven't checked it out yet. hang with her cousin for however long and then booked markree castle for the night to break up the trip. should we hang out in sligo at all? also is slieve league cliffs a far drive from lifford? then would it be a trek from there to markree castle?

day 6- head to ashford castle - wanted to stay two nights in ashford but figured drive to lifford and possibility of stop in derry along way would make too much driving and kind of a waste of money to arrive at ashford late right? i would love to do the falconery walk there and we have dinner booked in the fancy dining room. They will give you a jacket right? i don't feel like packing one really.

day 7- booked the nile lodge b & b for two nights in galway - things we would like to see - mostly figured just hanging out in the city and relaxing but would like to see cliffs of more and if weather is nice take ferry to the islands for a day trip.

day 8 - galway

day 9 - drive to dublin checkin or leave bags with kelly's hotel and drop car off in city centre or do you think it is better off to drop off car at airport, i figured city centre to be easier and then just check out things from there ((things we want to see: jameson distillery (her co-workers got us tickets for christmas which was nice of them), guiness storehouse, trinity college, book of kels, the prison, pubs pubs and more pubs lol

day 10 - pubs pubs pubs lol and anything else you guys have in mind. do you think one of those musical pub tours is worth it?

day 11 - check out of hotel - and our flight leaves at 11am or so :-(

a few last questions, will there be any sporting events near any of our stays i wonder?

are there any trad concerts around that time that we may be able to check out?

thanks for all your help again and welcome all comments, advice or tweaks. Can't wait for this trip!!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: trip itinerary finalized!! comments or must sees welcome

Great itinerary, of course it's down to your personal preferences.

Useful driving planner to find things to see on your way to places. Breaks up the long drives :) www.mydiscoverireland.com

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: trip itinerary finalized!! comments or must sees welcome

Great thanks for all the great advice! Tony so you say to prebook titanic now forday 3 morning or wait til we are there to prebook? Also is it easy enough to take a cab to portrush to check out the town and have drinks and such? Bushmills inn for easter sounds good to me ponaire!! Also is there any catholic churches in or around portrush for easter mass? Ringmaster thanks for all the advice I will book the falconery thing now. Also if you want to pm me the black taxi cab co you used that would be great if you think they were great.

Keep the advice and tweaks coming. Oh also meant to mention I wanted to do the croagh patrick hike probably on the way to ashford, has anyone done it? Is itextremely tough?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: trip itinerary finalized!! comments or must sees welcome

@Tony - no offence taken :) I agree Portrush is far superior for restaurants and the white rocks is a cracking beach but I do think as a town Portstewart is nicer. Just more genteel with less of the amusement arcades - just a quieter place plus I love the views over to Donegal!. But both are good:)

No issue getting a taxi (or bus) between the two Richy.

There's a nice Star of the Sea RC church at the Crescent in Portstewart - about a 5-10 min walk from Cul Erg down the Prom!.

http://www.portstewartparish.co.uk/

Prebook Titanic any time now.

The Harbour bar (downstairs) is good for a drink in Portrush and upstairs often have a live band. This place is great for food (Ramore and Harbour but will be very busy)

www.ramorerestaurant.com/ramore-wine-bar.htm

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: trip itinerary finalized!! comments or must sees welcome

Getting pumped for our trip!! Ponaire where do you recommend having easter dinner? I think my girlfriend was saying bushmills has music on saturday nights so we may try to go there for dinner on saturday. I want to try thw ramore wine bar you recommended but we can't rsvp? Will we be able to get a table for two on easter night?

Chicago
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: trip itinerary finalized!! comments or must sees welcome

We liked our stop off in Westport (lunch) and Clifden (overnight, great music and food) on our way south from Donegal to Galway.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: trip itinerary finalized!! comments or must sees welcome

Richy have a look at tartine in bushmills for the saturday. You can prebook.

Do you mean Easter Sunday? Ramore or harbour bistro (both same ownership and similar menus) should be fine if you are prepared to wait and maybe go around 7. sometimes it quietens later - eg 8.30 and you can get a table straight away but if its really busy, they sometimes stop taking more names at 8. btw normally they over-estimate wait times so not usually as bad as they say.

If you want to pre-book somewhere, jackman + pye in portrush has a good reputation. 55 degrees north has great views during daylight hours.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: trip itinerary finalized!! comments or must sees welcome

Thanks another question I was looking at ramore wine bar and its not a traditional restaurant? Like you have to order at a counter and then they bring you the food? Tartine over bushmills?

18. Re: trip itinerary finalized!! comments or must sees welcome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:15