We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
323 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

Need help with locations: During July, can you suggest the greenest pastures, forests, locations, wet with rain and where the sun will seep through the clouds and bring back my son’s memories? Visiting again with my son who is 17, wanting to go to college in Ireland and trying to rekindle his fond memory of the green beauty. It’s HIS dream. Thanks….

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

Based on the weather during recent summers, you should have no difficulty finding wet pastures and forests in July. Our climate is temperate and rain is a fairly common feature in all seasons.Sunshine can be difficult to guarantee though. Location-wise, the Atlantic coastline from Cork in the south to Donegal in the north is more scenic and tends to be wetter than the eastern side of the country.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,108 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

Without knowing your sons interests it's difficult to give the best advice...

Which College/s are he interested in that/those areas should be key. grass is everywhere and trees can be found within 10 miles of just about any town.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

The Golden Vale in County Tipperary does 'lush' very well - that's more or less around Cashel. As the others have said, forests everywhere, you just need a bit of local information - though I would argue that a lot of the western seabord is more barren and wild than lush, forested bits of Wicklow would be nearer what you are looking for - providing its raining!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,591 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

If your son is looking at coming here to university, he should be more concerned with the actual courses/quality of the universities rather than a place with lots of rain and lots of green.

Rain is something we do very well here and during the academic terms (usually September to May) your son will most likely get to the point where he'd like to see something different to rain and green.

Galway and Limerick are probably the wettest universities.

www.nuig.ie

www.ul.ie

However the University of Limerick has the added advantage of the largest river in Ireland running through it plus lots of land left to nature. Its a very verdant university but has state of the art buildings.

I would suggest that you make an appointment to visit the University of Limerick and speak with someone in the Admissions Office while you are here. Walk around the campus, have a coffee or some lunch. See how your son feels about the place.

As an aside, most of us who have been living here would like the torrential rain to stop at some stage - hopefully for the full summer - so we could dry out a bit and warm up.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

Ireland to bask in Med-like sunshine as The Gathering gathers pace in July

New Zealand forecaster Ken Ring predicts a long, hot summer

By

PATRICK COUNIHAN,

IrishCentral Reporter

Published Thursday, January 3, 2013, 6:19 AM

Updated Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 12:39 PM

Read more: irishcentral.com/news/…ixzz2KDLJVUyA

Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook

not sure if I've copied the link correctly, I got it from Kilted's page on Irish Americans.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

As most people around the world know the greenest pastures in Ireland are those from where the cows graze to produce the cream used in 'Baileys Irish Cream' and the finest prize winning creamery butter........County Cavan of course!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,591 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

Fuchsia, I really hope they are both right. But I have my doubts.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

Ah sure, if there is a long hot summer there will be hose pipe bans and water shortages and skin cancer scares and people suffering from heat stroke. It might as well rain! (I don't really mean that!)

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

Your son can feast his eyes on the facts and figures of Rainfall in Ireland anytime he likes here at the Met Eireann - Ireland's Meteorological Service - web site:

www.met.ie/climate-ireland/rainfall.asp

Last year's Annual Summary might help with some ideas for what he might need to cope with the weather:

www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/seas1.pdf

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking the Greenest, Lushest Parts of Ireland

I'd advise your son to decide on what course he wants to do and then see if they are both available at UL or NUIG. If the same course is offered in both then I would advise him to choose Galway, it is a much nicer city than Limerick. There is also an institute of technology in Galway where he can study a wide variety of courses.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/

http://www.gmit.ie/