We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

Hi there. My family is travelling to the UK this coming August and we're trying to nail down our itinerary while in Ireland. We plan on spending 6 nights in Ireland and then will be flying to England to spend a week in Cornwall (on the coast) with family. My question is, with our limited time in Ireland, are the Cliffs of Moher worth the visit knowing we'll be in Cornwall for a week and they have some pretty impressive coastline there as well? Or should we just focus our time in Ireland on other sites?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

The Cliffs aren't worth going to if the weather is very misty or very wet or very windy. Hopefully we won't have these next August but there are no guarantees!!

What are your plans for the rest of your visit to Ireland?

California
Level Contributor
194 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

Seeing as how the Cliffs of Moher will probably only take an hour or so of your 6 days in Ireland, I'd concentrate on what else you might want to see while you are there. While they are quite lovely, in no way would I ever base a trip to Ireland solely around seeing the Cliffs of Moher.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 23:12
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,598 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

There is a lot more to County Clare than 1/2 mile of coast. I am not the biggest fan of the Cliffs evolution from Natural Feature to Tourist attraction and would agree that it would be daft getting on a coach tour from Dublin to see them , But if you are passing no probs, The Cliffs cruise from Doolin is a good way to see them.

Cornwall is wonderful unless you are talking about Bude!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

What's wrong with Bude?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

Its probably like Dingle :o))

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,598 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

Bude was "The place to go" in the 70's because some idiot of a travel writer said so.. Nothing/nowhere else for miles. (so yes a bit like Dingle) Too far out of Devon and not far enough into Cornwall. Can get some really great Surf (not in tourist season) hence became a bit of a mecca. Had probably about 20 years of fame before the lights went on and people realised they were paying big money for not much.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

Oddly enough we went to Cornwall in 1999 for the eclipse and all thought it reminded us of west clare where we had been the year before!!

CH, you do realise Ireland and the UK are different countries with different currencies etc dont you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

Yes, I'm very much aware that Ireland and England are two separate countries with different currencies. And funny enough, my sister-in-law grew up in Bude and her parents rent holiday apartments just a walk from the great beach there, so that's where we'll be staying. I've been to Bude twice before and have loved it! I've also been around most of the rest of Cornwall as well.

I posted this question because I've heard that the Cliffs of Moher are pretty spectacular, but I didn't want to stretch our trip out too thin just to see them if they aren't much more fantastic than the Cornish coast. Sounds like they aren't! :)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

Why don't you google image them - there are lots of photos on the net.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,598 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cliffs of Moher vs. Cornwall

Cornwall is at its best South of Padstow (possibly Tintagel), West of Bodmin. some seriously good coastline which is hard to beat anywhere. Used to be some great Shark fishing down there probably still is on the catch and release scheme.

As said earlier the Cliffs are worth seeing if you are in the area especially from the sea. Loop Head down under Kilkee is still the low tourist option which although more difficult to get to is well worth the time.