We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some route advice on 8 days in IRE

7 posts
Save Topic
Need some route advice on 8 days in IRE

Going to Ireland for 8 nights in September this year. It's my dream trip to I want to make sure I make the most out of it. We will have a car.

Here is what I have so far, let me know if I am on the right track or if there are any must see/do towns/attractions:

1) start in Dublin stay one night

2-3) head down to Kilkenny for 2 nights (too much? But the lyrath hotel looks so devine!)

4) head down to Blarney 1 night

here is where I am not sure. We will go up to Ballynahinch (sp?) in Galway for one evening, but I am not sure if we should stop somewhere along the way for one evening.

Then after Galway, do we go back to Dublin for a couple days or stop somewhere in between? What's the perfect amount of days for Dublin?

I think taking in a few pubs, some historical stuff mixed with some R&R before our 16 hours of travel back home is what we want to do there

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
526 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some route advice on 8 days in IRE

You seem to want to do a speed trip through Ireland. To tell you from my experience, and how many others have phrased it here, less is more. I could spend 3 nights easy on Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula and I've already been there. Sounds like you'll see most of this beautiful country through a car window. Just my opinion. Unless you've already booked your flights, you might want to consider a longer stay to fit in all you want.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,276 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some route advice on 8 days in IRE

with only 8 nights, i wouldn't spend 3 of them in dublin...i'd just come back the evening of your 7th day and spend your last day there.....but that's me because i'm not a fan of big crowded cities...i love the small villages so much....so your perference will have to rule there....

since you will be returning to dublin at the end of your trip, i'd say go to kilkenny day 1....i love kilkenny, but i'd maybe stay day 1 and then if you feel like there is more to see there, do that the morning of day 2, then move on.....

also, i wouldn't drive to blarney with your other plans...it's out of the way and since you're not seeing anything else in that area, i'd save it for another time....

whatever you end up deciding to do, you'll be awe struck and planning your next trip on the flight back home....have a great trip...

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some route advice on 8 days in IRE

Thank you so much for your responses!

I think you are right and I was starting to wonder if I was trying to do too much in one trip. Just with 2 little ones at home, I am limited to my time and this is something I've been wanting to do forever.

The ring of Kerry looks amazing! Thank you for that suggestion.

So would you say Kilkenny straight down to Kerry? It's about a 3 hour drive. So perhaps I would spend a couple of days there. Then head to Galway. Is Galway worth the drive?

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
526 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some route advice on 8 days in IRE

On our trip we pretty much avoided the cities other than just driving through. But Kilkenny was one we spent the day at and loved it. Great pubs and shops. As for ROK, that is a very beautiful drive. Check out Skellig Michael. If you chose to do that it will take a good part of your day. It might be helpful to tell us what you're looking for in your trip: pubs, music, scenery, hiking etc.

7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some route advice on 8 days in IRE

Love historical stuff. Castles, Abby's. also to enjoy some local fare pubs, etc.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
387 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some route advice on 8 days in IRE

If castles and abbeys are your thing, you might be best served with your plan outlined in your original post.

While the Ring of Kerry rates highly on most visitors to-do lists, its attraction is principally its spectacular scenery. Kerry has some great ancient sites like Gallarus Oratory, Scellig Michael etc but these are in remote areas and consequentally time-consuming to visit.

With your 8 day time allowance,you would need to devote a substantial amount of it to Kerry to do the place justice. Better perhaps to restrict your horizons to Kilkenny,then onward to counties Clare and Galway, returning to Dublin for a final 24 hours.

A few places on this route that might satisfy your love for castles/abbeys: Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Birr Castle, St Johns Castle Limerick, Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. West Clare has a reputation for pubs and traditional music. In Galway you have the option of a day on Inishmore (largest of the Aran Islands) to see the spectacular Dun Aenghus fort; then Cong Abbey, Kylemore Abbey and the general Connemara area

Your original post listed Blarney Castle as a place on your wish list; this would take you a considerable distance south of the other destinations listed above and overall would not merit the diversion unless you were to devote some time to the general area around Cork city.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some route advice on 8 days in IRE

Lyrath is outside the city. It's now in NAMA,I think. One night would do, this trip.

Far nicer places than Blarney castle, go to Cahir castle and Rock of Cashel and then across to Limerick.

8. Re: Need some route advice on 8 days in IRE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 05:16