We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reserving anything in Ireland

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
reserving anything in Ireland

I am going to Ireland in May. I am extremely disappointed with trip advisor. I spent hours cross checking prices and availability. I gave my cc and all contact info. I booked 4 different properties that showed available dates on their calendars.Within 12 to 24 hours every property e-mailed that they were unavailable. What a joke this website is! What a waste my time spent on this b.s. site.

Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reserving anything in Ireland

I think you might be mistaken. You booked NOTHING thru Trip Advisor. Trip Advisor provides LINKS to other websites that book accommodation. Your beef is with them. Look at the confirmation emails you got. NOT ONE of them is going to say you booked thru TA, it'll mention other websites-many of which you see commercials for on TV all the time. I'm sorry for your frustration, it is completely understandable but it is totally misdirected. Good luck getting the rooms you need for your trip and I hope you have a great time.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reserving anything in Ireland

well said bake...and very accurate....

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reserving anything in Ireland

I never said I booked through TA! I stated I spent a lot of time researching and it was because of the ratings on TA and the big build-up on TAs site that I chose to book with several properties. People need to be aware that before you send any info or get your hopes up, contact the property directly because where TA sends you (links) is not always accurate. In my case it was 4 for 4 with availability calenders not updated. I hope that gives more clarity. Thanks for the well wishes!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reserving anything in Ireland

I never said I booked through TA! I stated I spent a lot of time researching and it was because of the ratings on TA and the big build-up on TAs site that I chose to book with several properties. People need to be aware that before you send any info or get your hopes up, contact the property directly because where TA sends you (links) is not always accurate. In my case it was 4 for 4 with availability calenders not updated. I hope that gives more clarity. Thanks for the well wishes!

Edited: 14 February 2013, 04:28
California
Level Contributor
194 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reserving anything in Ireland

Hope you have a great trip, be sure to let us know how you got on in Ireland.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reserving anything in Ireland

I surely will. Ireland will be my 30th country stamped in my passport. I was saving the best for last of my travels!

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: reserving anything in Ireland

Alpenkev

Information re places to stay is generally given by volunteers with local knowledge who try to make helpful suggestions. It is not a commercial booking agency and IMHO it is totally unreasonable for you to expect people to check out availability of recommended B&Bs before making recommendations. It should be pretty obvious to an experienced traveller that there is a risk that popular and highly recommended accommodation options will be frequently booked out. Insofar as some B&Bs with websites did not keep their calenders updated, surely this is an issue for the B&Bs and not for TA.

I accept that it can be frustrating to find that posted information re availability is incorrect but taking a swipe at TA over this is picking the wrong target.

D.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
772 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: reserving anything in Ireland

The fact that the b and b's got back to you so fast I think shows that they must be good. A lot of b and b's only have 4 or 5 rooms and do not have instant update software which can cost in the thousands. You'll love Ireland. Don't sweat the small stuff. 2nd or 3rd choice accommodation will still be great! Enjoy your trip!

9. Re: reserving anything in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 07:15