We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many abbeys--which to pick?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
So many abbeys--which to pick?

As I start to read about Ireland in preparation for our month long trip there in August, it strikes me that there are lots of abbeys (and ruins of abbeys). I don't want to see all of them, because they'll start to look alike and I won't appreciate any of them. Which few would you pick and why? Thanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,593 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So many abbeys--which to pick?

Andee, you have several threads running and there is going to be duplication.

The first questions are:

Where are you flying in and out of?

How long are you going to be here?

Absolutely NO point in sending you to all four corners of the country if you only have 5 days.

I like Muckross Abbey in Killarney. But its because of the context. Its a lovely old Franciscan Abbey but its in a fabulous setting and its also near to Muckross House and Gardens and Killarney National Park.

Glendalough is also beautiful. Spectacular scenery.

Glenstal Abbey www.glenstal.org is a working abbey and a boy's school. It does retreats and has its own jams and CDs. Its very different to Muckross and Glendalough.

Kylemore Abbey www.kylemoreabbey.com is similar to Glenstal in that it is a residence that was turned into an abbey. This was formerly a girl's boarding school and is in spectacular surroundings. The gardens are lovely and its full of history.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: So many abbeys--which to pick?

Where are you planning on visiting in Ireland?

A short itinerary and some of your other interests would help make suggestions more appropriate.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many abbeys--which to pick?

I have tried to make each question specific, and I appreciate very much the answers to those questions.

How long I'm going to be there (just over a month) and my other interests really isn't relevant to which few abbeys those in the know would recommend.

Thank you Bean A for suggesting those four abbeys--that's just the info I was seeking.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: So many abbeys--which to pick?

These might also help:

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_abbeys_and_prior…

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,593 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So many abbeys--which to pick?

"my other interests really isn't relevant to which few abbeys those in the know would recommend."

I disagree with you. There's no need to get snappy with people here. We're all volunteers who post in our own time.

There's a big difference between the abbeys I've recommended. For example if you were interested in flowers and vegetables, Kylemore Abbey would be top of your list. If you are interested in early Irish Christian History then Glendalough would be top of your list. If you are interested in the reformation then Muckross would be most relevant of my list.

If you're interested in meditation and church music then Glenstal would be ideal.

And length of time is very relevant. As I stated if you've only got a few days then there's no point in telling you to go to Sligo, Kerry, Wexford and Louth. It really wouldn't be feasible.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 13:43
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many abbeys--which to pick?

I'm not being snappy, just honest. I will consider any abbey for it's special nature.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So many abbeys--which to pick?

In County Waterford there are three, Black friars in waterford city, and St Mary's and Mount Mellory in West Waterford, St Mary's is the only women's Cistercian Abbey in Ireland, both these are current, Blackfriars is a ruin. In County Wexford are Tintern and Dunbrody, both very interesting but both ruins.

Some of the churches are just as interesting but without knowing what part of the country you would be in its difficult to be specific. You would be better to say, I will be in this part of the country, which Abbeys would you recommend.

The Rock of Cashel and Hore abbey beside it would certainly be on your list.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,507 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So many abbeys--which to pick?

It depends on if you want ruins or a "working " building.

If ruins:Muckross,Killarney-as already mentioned

Holy Cross abbey and Hore Abbey-and of course Cashel in Co. Tipperary.

Tintern was used as a private house and isn't as "abbey", but the location is lovely.

Glendalough, as already mentioned.

Just outside Buttevant, in Co. Cork, is an Augustinian ruin with a very rare dove house, still in perfect condition-there's also a Franciscan abbey in the town itself.

https:/…

Monasterboice and Mellifont are handy to Newgrange -Brú na Bóinne.

Corcomroe in Co. Clare would be high on my list too.

Duiske Abbey is now the parish church in Graiguenamanagh, there is also Jerpoint in Kilkenny.

So..now we need an idea of places you are thinking of ...

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
768 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So many abbeys--which to pick?

If you are near Kilkenny--Jerpoint Abbey:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jerpoint+abbey&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=chP&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=dS4dUfb2DtC80QHp_4GoAg&ved=0CEsQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=598

Hmmm, looks like you'll have to copy and paste the link. Sorry

Edited: 14 February 2013, 18:39
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,507 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So many abbeys--which to pick?

Almost forgot another really interesting one-Kells Priory in County Kilkenny.

megalithicireland.com/…20Kilkenny.html

Well off the main tourist routes too, you may well have the place to yourself.