We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Awwww

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,801 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Awwww

Would anybody like to talk to us???

From Yahoo:

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ireland may be enjoying stellar economic growth and seen as one of the best places in the world to live, but its inhabitants are apparently also the globe's loneliest.

Google Trends, which works out how many searches have been done via the Internet search engine on particular terms, showed the word "lonely" was entered most frequently by Internet users in Ireland: http://www.google.com/trends?q=lonely.

The Irish, enjoying new-found wealth and a flood of immigration following more than a century of economic decline, are followed in the misery stakes by residents of Singapore and New Zealand -- although Singaporeans are the most frequent searchers of "happiness."

Google Trends calculates the ratio of searches for a given term coming from each city, region or language divided by total Google searches coming from the same area.

Ireland's capital, Dublin, topped the city list for "lonely" searches, followed by Melbourne, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand.

In 2004, the Economist magazine named Ireland the best place to live in the world in a "quality of life" assessment.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Awwww

I am so lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely. Nobody talks to me. Hubby prefers golfing and messing around in his shed. Dogs prefer sniffing each other. The only conversation I get is when those sad people from the phone companies call: "Can I speak to the person who pays the bill?" Anyone out there...?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
238 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Awwww

Maybe the report is missing half of the search string. Maybe everyone is entering

"Jiminey! I've been having way too much fun with my friends and neighbors. The pubs are too friendly, inviting, and full of craic. There are always eager tourists hanging about looking to chat me up. What's a person got to do to get lonely around here?"

Well, it could happen.... ;-)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Awwww

Thanks for the laugh this morning, KimmerU!

And thanks, Bean, for the laugh last night!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Awwww

I dont know, maybe I agree a little.

I was filling up my car in a petrol station this morning and there was a desperately lost looking guy in a northern reg car reading a map. Turning it upside down and everything hoping it would make more sense.

Anyway, I was actually hoping he would ask me for directions but he never came over to me....................aaawwww I could not go over to him as I was in mid fill of the car.

He asked the lady in the shop who I know is useless at directions as I worked with her for years.

Why would you type in "lonely" to a search engine. How odd!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,801 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Awwww

OK - I succumbed. I just googled "Lonely" and got the following:

(Lonely Planet is travel related - I think the report is slightly disingenuous even if funny)

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 103,000,000 for lonely [definition]. (0.18 seconds)

Lonely Planet: the world's best guidebooks, travel advice and ...Travel guidebooks, advice, information and inspiration.

www.lonelyplanet.com/ - 88k - 14 May 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Travel Destinations Lonely Planet | Lonely Planet Travel GuideLonely Planet's online guide to the world. ... Lonely Planet Publications, WorldGuide. Explore. Explore the World. To view our sexy interactive maps and ...

www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/ - 25k - 14 May 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

[ More results from www.lonelyplanet.com ]

The Lonely Island | TheLonelyIsland.comA group of aspiring film makers funny home videos.

www.thelonelyisland.com/ - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See results for: lonely lyrics

Lonely Lyrics - Akon

Lonely Lyrics - Akon. ... The CopyRight of Akon - Lonely Lyrics belongs to the

writer or performer of Akon - Lonely Lyrics, If you want to use Akon - Lonely ...

lyrics007.com/Akon%20Lyrics/…20Lyrics.html

AKON - LONELY LYRICS

Akon - Lonely lyrics. ... Lonely Lyrics Lonely I'm Mr lonely, I have nobody, for

my owwwn I’m so lonely, ... If you find some error in Lonely Lyrics, ...

sing365.com/music/Lyric.nsf/Lonely-lyrics-Ak…

Akon - Lonely Lyrics - Lonely - Lyrics On Demand

Lyrics On Demand - Lyrics for all your favorite artists!

lyricsondemand.com/a/…lonelylyrics.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Los Lonely Boys - Official SiteOfficial site. Rock band of three brothers. Includes biography, forum, news, tour information, and merchandise.

www.loslonelyboys.org/ - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

Lonely Planet | Thorn Tree Travel ForumThe Lonely Planet travel guides' message board. Contains detailed questions and answers from travellers about the current situation in most places.

thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ - 103k - 14 May 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Home - Lonely Planet Travel Guide BooksLonely Planet publishes a wide variety of travel and destination guides, including specialty guides for budget travel, snorkeling and scuba diving, ...

shop.lonelyplanet.com/ - 46k - 14 May 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Female and Male Inmates Desire PenpalsLonely Female and Male Inmate Desire Penpals. ... Make the day of a lonely inmate! He/She will get excited when his/her name is called to receive a letter ...

www.meet-an-inmate.com/ - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

The sponsored pages are as follows:

Sponsored Links

Lonely with Meetic

Millions of singles with photos,

free registration - live chat

www.meetic.co.uk

Loneliness Cure for Women

Self-help, online support, articles

empowering Women to reach out!

www.selfesteem4women.com

Free Irish dating site

Find thousands of singles.

View photos and Sign Up free!

www.AnotherFriend.com

Singles, Get A Life

Great ebook for singles about

getting the life of your dreams $10

SingleLifeAt45.com

How to get over your ex

For men - Get your power back

she breaks up - E-book + MP3 $19

www.vitalcoaching.com

Loneliness and Depression

Learn how to cope and recover.

Online Help. Therapist Recommended

www.MySelfHelp.com

Free - Lonely

19 Billion Songs - No Download Fees

Lonely Fast, Safe & Legal

MyMusicInc.com

Lonely

Your Search Ends Here. We Found It!

Lonely

eWoss.co.uk

Eire
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Awwww

19 Feckin Billion songs.... What kind of disc would you use????

Lonely my A$$, I cant understand that.. What with all the "newcomers" to this country looking for full time status....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,965 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Awwww

"Lonely Lyrics Lonely I'm Mr lonely, I have nobody, for"

Ack! This brings back memories of my February trip, they had this song, or some type of remix new version mixing a "Chipmunks" type vocal with a rapper...have no idea who it was or is, but the thing came out of my rental car speakers 10 times a day all over Ireland lol...

Eire
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Awwww

IrishFan that happens me every time i go on a trip. I come back and cant get the "in" song out of my head. Years later it still reminds me of when & where i've been...

9. Re: Awwww

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 15:17