thank you so much to those who have replied to my earlier posts and have emailed me with suggestions, it has been very helpful. I probably have stuffed up here by starting another post while I have one going. Anyhow can someone please look at my new itinerary and tell me how I can fine tune it...thank you..
Famiily of 4 2 adults & 2 boys 7 & 8. Looking for things unique to Ireland as we are travelling on to Scotland, England, France.
25/03 arrive from London into Dub airport at 11am.
* Car hire arranged 2503 - late arv 0104
* drive to Belfast....may look and see if we can get into
Newgrange on the way....if it looks like big wait or no tickets will give it a miss.
* Overnight Belfast (booked)
* Black Cab tour of murals and peace walls.
* Leave for Antrim coast
*photo of rope bridge from distance (chickens)
*Giants causeway a must
Not going to distillery (husband wants 1 in Scotland)
*Heritage tea room?? read was worth a stop
*Dunluce castle a definite
Overnighting somewhere up there.
* continue antrim coast on to Donegal town ish
overnight that area (any good suggestions?)
* Drive from that area to Westport
*photo stop of benbulben
* lough gill loop? (holy well & tree of particular interest)
* Drumcliff for Yeats, Round Tower & High Cross
* If didn't get to newgrange then carrowmore (if open)
* Westport to Cong ??? top of connemarra
* Cong Hawk Walk is a must at Ashford Castle
* rest of Connemarra
* Top of Burren area
* sorry not Cliffs of Moher (husband from cliffs in S Aust)
* Kilnaboy to find Father Teds house a must
* The Dolmen starting with P (cant find where I have written it
down, but has the huge stone)
* and basically the excellent scenery
* then onto Carraugowen village near six mile creek
(have booked easter there for the kids goes from 1-5pm)
overnight somewhere nice around this area (suggestions?)
* Drive from Limerick area back to Dublin...taking it slow and
stopping anywhere people can suggest.
I know we are not staying long in Belfast or Dublin, and I hope that doesn't offend....In Dublin I want to do the hop on, hop off bus and sit in Grafton St and watch buskers etc.
The main part that has me confused about this itinerary is the connemarra area. Should we just go from Westport to Galway, have two nights in Galway and drive back to Cong for the hawk walk.....Cong looks very touristy and I have noticed a lot of the accommodation is booked out. I would leave this itinerary and just go with the flow when we got there, but have to book the Hawk Walk as it is very popular.
The top as well has me confused....should we have a overnighter on the antrim coast, knowing we want to give the rope and the distillery a miss or can we maybe enter it at Ballycastle and overnight further down (not Derry, don't want to go into another large town) so as to make the Sligo section a bit easier.
thank you for your thoughts....