We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Ireland driving itinerary

USA
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Ireland driving itinerary

My husband and I (in our mid 20's) are planning a mid-May trip to Ireland. It will be our first trip overseas, and I would appreciate help ironing out a few details of our packed itinerary.

Monday- Fly into Shannon from Birmingham, UK, so no jet lag, and we will have gathered experience driving on the left in England. Our plane would arrive around 19:00. Rent car at SNN, then drive to Doolin for an overnight. (would love to drive through part of the Burren, but don't see how we can fit it in. Also interested in Bunratty Castle, but it seems like Rock of Cashel and Killkenny Castle will do.)

Tuesday- See Cliffs of Moher, early lunch in Liscannor at Vaughans Anchor Inn (heard they have good, fresh seafood?) Drive to Dingle using ferry. And via Connor Pass if there's good weather. (aware it will be a long drive, but we will be able to spend 2 nights in Dingle that way)

Wednesday- Do Slea Head Drive and overnight in Dingle again.

Thursday- Do the drive from Killarney to Kenmare, see Rock of Cashel (closes at 17:30, and last admission 16:45) Overnight in or near Killkenny.

Friday- Tour Killkenny castle (opens at 09:30), and drive through Wicklow Mountains National Park to Enniskerry. (what is the most scenic route through mountains?) Overnight in Enniskerry.

Saturday- Drive to Dublin. See Dublin sights. Overnight in Dublin.

Sunday- Dublin sights. Overnight in Dublin again. (suggestions for must-see's in Dublin? So far we have Trinity College and Temple Bar Area. Maybe Christ Church OR St. Patrick's Cathedrals, and possibly Guinness brewery. Maybe a picnic in St. Stephen's Green.

Monday- return car and fly home.

-Does this sound doable?

-Does anyone have suggestions of good, safe B&B's or hotels along our way where we can stay for under 65 Euros/night? It's fine if they're not in the city centers. Also names of good, authentic Irish restaurants would be lovely.

-I would also love any info anyone has on locations we can visit where the movies PS I Love You, and Braveheart, were filmed.

-I've heard certain motorways around Dublin charge toll, but don't have toll booths, and can be a real pain to pay if in a rental car. Is this true, and if so, what are the names so we can avoid them?

Thank you all for any help you can give!!

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help with Ireland driving itinerary

Not any great difference, unless you really want the ferry experience.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,982 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help with Ireland driving itinerary

If you have time to explore a little of South West Clare and the Loop Head spur then the ferry is a good option. Most though just want to dash between the usual tourist spots making the Tunnel the best option, it is certainly the cheapest option.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help with Ireland driving itinerary

I much prefer to take the ferry when travelling from Clare to Dingle (or v. v.); I think the scenery is more interesting, and I have got snarled up in traffic jams and diversions Every Time I've opted for the Tunnel route. So from now on, it's the ferry route for me!

http://www.shannonferries.com/timetable/

14. Re: Help with Ireland driving itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 05:16