We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

Tennessee
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

Planning my trip of a lifetime with my husband for our 20th anniversary. Tentatively want to go in late Aug or early Sept.

How long in advance should I book? Should I be doing it now, or wait a couple more months?

Here's a rundown of our plan:

Day 1: Fly into Dublin and stay 1 night or possibly 2? For sure want to see Guinness, The Brazen Head Pub and Johnny Fox Pub. We have some friends who live in Lucan who will probably show us around some, as their work schedules permit. We want to drive ourselves, so I am assuming it would be best to go ahead and rent our car once we arrive, even though we'll not be leaving Dublin right away?

Day 2: From Dublin, we'd rent a car and drive to Kilkenny because to see Kilkenny City and Kilkenny Castle. I read that Pinecrest B&B is good.

Day 3: From Kilkenny, we'd drive on to Co. Tipperary to see the Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle. Afterwards drive to Co. Limerick and stay at Adare Manor 1 night. I want to see Adare Village.

Day 4: After that, we'd go on to Galway to see the Cliffs. I read good reviews of Dubhlinn B&B there.

Day 5: After a night in Galway, we would head back towards Dublin by way of Co. Offaly to see Clonmacnoise, Kinnitty Castle and Birr Castle. Then drive on to Dublin to stay 1-2 more nights.

I would like any feedback you all can offer. Is this itinerary too ambitious? I am also concerned about getting lost going from one place to the next. Are there any attractions in the Counties I listed that I may be overlooking? Thank you for any info you can provide.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

You'll need a car for Johnny Foxes - the public transport bus 44B isn't very frequent.

I'm sure you have overlooked loads of attractions but to see everything in a week is not possible. You seem to have hit the most well known on your itinerary though.

Check with your car rental supplier if there is SatNav. fitted so you won't get lost.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,019 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

Whatever about ambitious, it seems pure plastic Paddy,ie places for tourists with very little real Ireland

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

If you are happy with the Itinerary which apart from a couple of busy wishes has good, balanced, stepping stone locations then book when your ready.

Johnny Foxes have their own Tourist shuttle but wouldn't be on my recommended list.

Take no notice of Harvey a few people get upset when the tourist magnet misses a mention

Edited: 24 February 2013, 00:37
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

I live about 5 miles from Johnny Foxes and have never set foot in it. It is very touristy. The Blue Light pub up that way is much more traditional i.m.o. Daingean Ui Chúis is a nice spot in Kerry too [Dingle that is] but a bit of a trek on a short break holiday unless you are based in the S.West.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,979 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

"Day 4: After that, we'd go on to Galway to see the Cliffs. I read good reviews of Dubhlinn B&B there. "

I think you have some confusion there. The Cliffs of Moher are in County Clare. And I can't find a B&B named Dubhlinn in Galway, but there IS one in Doolin, Co. Clare near to the cliffs. Have you confused Doolin with Galway somehow?

Honestly it seems like a lot of driving and 'then on to the next place..." versus staying anywhere long enough to do or see much.

Based on what you want to see you may want to look into flying in to Dublin and out of Shannon.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

Thanks for all the helpful info. I did have Galway confused. Sorry about that. So much planning for a place so far away isn't a walk in the park! Haha! Anyway, per your sugestions We may just skip Johnny Fox's. And I had thought of flying into Dublin & out of Shannon. We may do that instead. I am so disappointed at the high prices o the castle hotels. I wanted to stay just 1 night in one, but I really can't justify paying that much. So we will do B&Bs only.

Is it true that going across the entire country west to east is just under a 3-hr drive? It is hard to wrap my head around that, being from the USA. I thought the drive from place to place that we are planning for would be 1-1 1/2 hours at most.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,771 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

You might be interested in National Heritage Week events between 17 and 25 August, 2013:

http://www.heritageweek.ie

You will find related events across the country, on a county by county basis. These will be added to the web site between now and the beginning of August.

Check out The Gathering Ireland 2013 for other festivals and events:

http://www.thegatheringireland.com

Use the Route Planner here to give you an idea of distances and times. Allow anywhere from 10% - 15% extra for real world road conditions:

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

Many of the most scenic locations are not on motorways and the going will be slower than you might anticipate.

You will enjoy your visit more if you take things easy and spend at least two nights in each location.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,497 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

http://www.aaireland.ie/routes try this site for mileage and times to drive....for the time, add 20-25%.....this will give you an idea of time to allot....keep in mind these are "perfect" conditions drives and don't allow for traffic, roadworks, a crazy sheep with a death wish, farm equipment, slowing down in small villages, and the biggy, getting lost....

i would suggest since you are ending your trip in dublin maybe skip day one there and just head to kilkenny.....

also, i wouldn't wait until arrival to rent a car, that should be done prior to the trip so you don't have a heart attack when you see the cost.....

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

Don't be too disappointed by the 'castle' hotels. These are mostly Manor Houses not the Camelot/Knights in Shining Armour types with drawbridge and moat. They offer high class luxury so it doesn't come cheap.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip for late Aug 2013

I will check out the websites you guys recommended. Very helpful. Thanks so much! Although there are a few 'touristy' places I do want to see, I am very interested in the culture. So the heritage festivals would be lots of fun.