We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Gas prices

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Topic
Ireland Gas prices

Hello everyone

I'm Trying to cost out our expenses for our trip to Ireland and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with the current gas prices in Ireland. I know that prices vary in each city, I just need an average.

Thanks in advance

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Gas prices

About €1.60 for litre.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Gas prices

A lot of cars in Ireland have diesel engines. Diesel is currently averaging about €1.53 per litre. Diesel engines are also more fuel efficient

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,688 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Gas prices

Flow Gas is €35 for a 12kg bottle but http://pumps.ie/ might help with fuel prices.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland Gas prices

Get used to saying petrol Jessica! And litres as well.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,300 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland Gas prices

Jessica,

What we call "gas" here is oxygen or natural gas or helium etc.

Petrol or diesel are used to fill cars.

Rates are variable, depending on exchange rates, with the dollar generally determining the price. However there are small individual variations between different outlets.

Here in Limerick, Applegreen and Emo appear to be consistently the best value. I think we're paying about €1.54 or so in our local Applegreen.

But do remember that cars here are far more economical on fuel than those in the US.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,300 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland Gas prices

And just to complicate issues - if we haven't enough - if someone points to a car and says "Thats a GAS car" it means its a funny car :o))

Gas is another name for funny, here.

Craic is another name for fun. If someone says to you "we had great craic (pronounced crack) in such and such a place" it usually means they had good fun, not cocaine!!

Kingsland, Georgia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland Gas prices

Bean,

Thanks for pointing out these lingo differents. It would be good to know that someone is trying to tell you something is funny and that you did not think he was trying to sale you drugs. things like this are great to learn to save an uncomfortable exchange with a local.

Denny

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,300 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland Gas prices

Denny, things getting lost in translation can be either funny or problematic.

My son knew that "Hash" is short for Hashish. But generalising it, he then told someone that he loved "Hashish Browns" (Hash Browns) for his lunch :o))) I had to do a bit of serious education and correction lol!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland Gas prices

It's €1.64 in my local forecourt this evening - seems to have jump[ed a bit. The Diesel is now €1,54

10. Re: Ireland Gas prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 07:17