We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland in 12 Days

Englewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
45 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland in 12 Days

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are planning a 12 day trip to Ireland the very end of July to the beginning of August. We are flying in and out of Dublin and are renting a car. We will probably spend the first and last night of our trip in Dublin to make things easier. I also know that we would like to stay in B&B's instead of hotels. I want to see as many things as I can without feeling too rushed. So possibly staying in 4 different places for a few days and doing some day trips to other places? We are completely unsure of what to do the rest of the time that we are there. We are more into outdoor adventures, hiking, history, museums, castles, temples, monuments and that sort of thing. I know that we are going during a high tourist season and we would like to stay away from the super crowded touristy type places. Does anyone have any advice on places to stay, beautiful scenery, ocean adventures, museums, outlaying islands, music, hikes... ect that they could share? I am planning the entire trip by myself and would rather not spend the money/time on an already planned tour where they tell you what to see, eat and where to stay.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland in 12 Days

For biking, the Greenway in Co Mayo is lovely. There is also the Ballyhoura Biking trail, won't be as busy as the greenway.

http://www.greenway.ie/

You could base yourself in Newport for the Greenway, Achill island,Westport and Castlebar.

From Westport you could take the ferry out to Clare island and you could also climb Croagh Patrick.

visitballyhoura.com/index.php/… for Ballyhoura you could base yourselves in Limerick city ,visit the Hunt museum there.Limerick would also allow you do a trip to Co. Clare, the Burren region is spectacular you can go caving,surfing, hiking and hear some real tradtional music.

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
496 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland in 12 Days

Dingle town has a B&B called Pax Guest House. Top notch. On Dingle Peninsula there are two drives we enjoyed, Slea Head and Connor Pass. Another drive coupled with a hike is the Pass of Caher Conree. Not really easy to find, the book "Back Roads Ireland" is helpful with this. Anyway the hike goes to the Iron Age Fort. The fort is disappointing but the views are not. It is a hike over damp ground.... no sneakers.

Our favorite hike was Skellig Michael. A boat ride and a hike. Again the views are phenomenal. Look into this knowing that weather can cancel the boats. Book ahead.

Finally Diamond Hill in Connemara National Park. This was nice and any boggy ground was covered by boardwalks. Hope this helps. Have a great trip!!!

3. Re: Ireland in 12 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 06:17