We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

For our trip in September we plan on renting a manual car for 15 days. Dan Dooley has quoted $320 additional for the CDW/Super CDW coverage on the car rental. Reviewing our planned trip insurance policy, and costs, it appears we can get the same coverage as a rider for $100. Comments from anyone that has noticed and/or purchased US trip insurance are appreciated.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,006 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

Plenty of other threads on car hire here. See for example:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k616…

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

I suggest you do some serious research on third party insurers before you go that direction. There are only a few that will cover non-EU renters. Investigate what they cover and what kind of hold the car rental company will put on your credit card if you don't use their Super CDW.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

good advise above...you can buy different outside insurances but as was stated already make sure you read it very carefully and consider the fact that using outside insurance will have the rental company, no matter who you use, putting as much as a 2000 euro (as of today that would be $2600.00) hold on your card until the car is returned undamaged...if there is an incident or accident they can and probably will keep the entire hold and you'll have to deal with getting your money back from the outside company whenever you return home....

whereas if you buy the rental companies insurance the most you could be out of pocket, heaven forbid, if there is a problem is 100 euro ($130.00)....you decide....

Albuquerque, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

Oma14-Thanks for this advise, but could you clarify something for me? I have a rental car booked in Dublin for 7 days, which already has the required CDW/TP coverage included in the cost (I don't know the exact cost, since it's part of an overall airfare/hotel/car package I bought). Is the 100 Euro figure you cited above for 15 days a fairly standard fee? Would I expect to only pay that or less for a 7 day rental, on top of my existing basic coverage? Thanks for any input you can provide.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

druid, yes most quotes include cdw.....sadly if you only have cdw, you will have a very large hold on your card,,,,,.the 100 would only apply if you purchase "super" cdw and yes 100 deductible is normal, with scdw, no matter the length of the rental....

Albuquerque, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

Thanks for the timely response. From your experience, if I decide to upgrade the coverage from basic CDW/TP to the all-inclusive when I pick up the car, will it be significantly more than the extra 100 Euros or so, on top of my already paid-for basic coverage? That is, will I have to pay a premium/amended contract fee if I add this on at the counter? I don't recall having the option to get the SCDW when I booked this package, since it was all-inclusive. Thanks again.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,006 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

Yes you will have to pay extra at the counter for super cover. It will probably double the cost of the hire - check with the company for the exact daily rate. It's a bit of a bait and switch tactic of the car hire companies - most people get a nasty surprise when they find the deductible is around EUR 2000 and they need that hold on the credit card.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

My June / July 2013 rental with Hertz (at Dublin airport) incurred a 5000 Euro 'Hold', as I waived the CDW and the Super-CDW, using my World MasterCard. Hertz allows prepayment, but that generally precludes the Super-CDW.

Dan Dooley is the only company that I KNOW of that allows for "Total" pre-payment -- and even they EXCLUDE the Initial Fuel charge, as it varies from vehicle to vehicle. I have had EXCELLENT assistance, information and service via their New Jersey office.

Most Super-CDW runs 15-30 Euro PER DAY (depending upon the company and the vehicle rented). Many companies also offer a personal injury cover, personal property cover and a tire supplement, as well.

I would CAREFULLY read ALL the 'Terms and Conditions' on the Car Hire website, as well as those on the 'Package' documents.

Bob

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

druid, as dyoll stated, you will have to purchase the scdw at the counter of the rental company....this will not alter your contract with whomever you purchased it from....I suggest you call directly to the rental company and ask them what the charge is for their super cdw...then you'll have no surprises at the counter....I don't think calling the buying of insurance a bait and switch, it's simply a matter of knowing what is/isn't included in your rental contract....if one doesn't read their agreement and has a nasty surprise at pick up that's hardly the fault of the company renting you the car.....

bob, just so you'll know, if you ask, you can prepay your fuel in the jersey office....I did this last year, and have already reserved my car for next may with the fuel prepaid....I believe kilted2 has also done the same for next year's trip....

10. Re: Car Rental CDW/Super CDW vs. Trip Insurance Rider costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 November 2013, 19:23