We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this itinerary look okay?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does this itinerary look okay?

We are planning a fairly exhaustive trip with a lot of driving. I borrowed this itinerary from a website...

For those who've been to Ireland...are we hitting up the "must see" spots? We realize this is a jam-packed trip with lots of driving. This itinerary was supposed to be done in 8 days, but I'm spreading it out to 10 and adding the Aran Islands on to a day. Thoughts?

Ireland Driving Trip Itinerary

Inspired by: …exploringireland.net/self-...eland-7-nights

Day 1: Arrive Dublin

Day 2: Dublin

· Trinity College Dublin

· The Book of Kells

· Chester Beatty Library

· Temple Bar

· Guinness Storehouse

· Old Jameson Distillery

· National Museum of Ireland

· Christchurch Cathedral

· Kilmainham Jail

Day 3: Wicklow (1.5 hrs from Dublin) & Kilkenny (1.75 hrs from Wicklow); spend night in Kilkenny

· Wicklow driving tour (the movie “Braveheart” was filmed in this region)

· Glendalough

· Powerscourt House

· Avondale House

· Avoca Handweavers

· Kilkenny Castle

· Medieval Kilkenny City

· Kilkenny’s Traditional Irish Music Pubs

Day 4: Waterford (45 min from Kilkenny) & Cork (1.75 hrs from Waterford); spend night in Cork

· Waterford Crystal

· Waterford City

· Lismore Castle

· Blarney Castle

· Cobh Heritage Centre

· Cork City

· The Old Midleton Whiskey Distillery

· Demot Ryan’s Kinsale Heritage Town Walk

Day 5: Kerry County/Killarney (1.5 hrs from Cork); stay in Killarney or Dingle?

· The Ring of Kerry

· Staigue Fort

· Killarney National Park

· Muckross House & Gardens

· Killarney’s Traditional Music Pubs

Day 6: Dingle Peninsula (1 hr from Killarney); stay on the peninsula

Day 7: Clare (2.5 hrs driving w/ multiple stops along the way to see the sights listed below)

· Bunratty Castle & Folk Park

· Cliffs of Moher

· The Poulnabrone Dolmen

· The Burren

· Doolin Village

· The Burren Smokehouse

· Jane O’Brien’s Ennis Walking Tour

Day 8: Galway (1 hr from Clare)

· Galway City

· Galway Crystal

· Kylemore Abbey

· Galway Music & Theatre Venues

· Dunguaire Castle

Day 9: Aran Islands (1hr, 20 min trip to docks & across to Inishmore Island); stay in Galway

· ricksteves.com/plan/…aranisla.htm

Day 10: Midland Tour & Return to Dublin (2 hrs from Galway)

· Tullamore Dew

· Newgrange

· Clonmacnoise Monastic Site

· Belvedere House & Gardens

San Diego...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Does this itinerary look okay?

aaroadwatch.ie has approximately the same times I've quoted minus 20%, so it seems my time quotes are spot on. On Day #7 we are not driving to Clare; we are driving to Ennis. It looks like that day will be more like 4-5 hours of driving, plus all the stops. Loooooooong day.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 21:02
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Does this itinerary look okay?

@ bluii12

So on day 7, where do you plan to overnight? If you're just driving from Dingle to Ennis with a stop at Bunratty, then that's perfectly doable. But, if you're going to continue beyond Ennis to the Cliffs of Moher and onwards to the Burren, then yes, it will be a looong day.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Does this itinerary look okay?

Okay, now that I'm looking at the map I see that it wouldn't make sense for us to stay in Ennis. So, looking at your suggestions of Ballyvaughan. Looks like we'd up for 10+ hour day for all of that, huh?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Does this itinerary look okay?

FWIW, this is our planned 2 week itinerary....and I think we're probably trying to do too much....

https:/…0b499f38b658696f31d5f1fe1344e0c1

San Diego...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Does this itinerary look okay?

@Neurorad1 - that itinerary looks perfect! And you've got more days than us! Off to reconsider...

Canada
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Does this itinerary look okay?

Exploring Ireland lists your bullets as "suggested places" . Unless you want to do a 30 second drive by of some sites, cut your daily lists!. For example after Glendalough 1-2 hrs, ditto Powerscourt, 1 hr each Avondale and Avoca, 2 hr Kilkenny Castle and 4 hrs Kilkenny city, you will not have any time or energy for the music!

I spent 6 hrs in Kilkenny and still did not see everything. I think you need to do some more research.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Does this itinerary look okay?

Neurorad1- why would you backtrack from Killarney through Kinsale to get to Beara when you are so close to it in Kinsale. The road from Kinsale to Killarney is nuts with traffic and tour buses and the less you have to drive it the better imo.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Does this itinerary look okay?

@mathladyCA: My original plan was to drive around the southwest coast from Kinsale via Clonakilty, Skibbereen, Bantry, and Glengarriff, circle Beara then on to Kenmare and ultimately Killarney. However, I thought that that route would get us to Beara a bit late (after passing through and visiting all of those towns), and that we would ultimately arrive quite late to Killarney that evening. I decided instead to leave Kinsale early-ish in the a.m., thinking we could get to Killarney pretty quickly, then do Killarney that day. The next entire day would be devoted to a trip from Killarney to and around Beara....Does that not make sense? You say that the road from Kinsale to Killarney is nuts with traffic....I didn't know that. AA Ireland gave a time of 1 hour 42 minutes for that route (I know....add 25%). If what you say is accurate, perhaps I should do opt for the original plan...Anyone else want to weigh in?

Edited: 04 March 2013, 17:49
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Does this itinerary look okay?

@mathladyCA49: Also, I wasn't going backtrack to Kinsale from Killarney...I was planning on driving down from Killarney to Glengarriff on N71, circling Beara clockwise and then returning to Killarney after dinner in Kenmare. Knowing that, do you still feel that my plan is unwise?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Does this itinerary look okay?

My error- I said Kinsale when I meant Kenmare. If you stay in Kenmare - after your drive from Kinsale, you could hit Beara the next day and on the same day head fro Killarney and even stop at muckross on your way there. Beara does not take as long as RofK.

Do a search of Beara on TA because someone contributed a great email of what to see and do on Beara (wish I had saved it). If you have time go across the Healey pass- one of my highlights in Ireland.

Also near Skibbereen at Glandore there are some neat stone circles with a wonderful view of farms etc. Tour buses never go there! You will really be in the countryside>