We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Moher via Rock of Cashel to Dublin

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Cliffs of Moher via Rock of Cashel to Dublin

We are planning a trip to Ireland and we will fly into Shannon. I would like to see the Rock of Cashel. Would this be possible to see as a day trip heading to Dublin from Cliffs of Moher area. We will visit Galway and Clifden. So the only time we will "sorta" be near Rock of Cashel is the day before we leave. I was thinking of heading through Limerick (maybe Bunratty) and then on to Cashel. Would this make for a long day?

Thanks!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs of Moher via Rock of Cashel to Dublin

Cliffs - Cashel - Dublin is around 4.5-5hr drive, so you would have time to stop at Cashel for a couple of hours. Not sure if you'd have time for Limerick or Bunratty, though . . . .

You can check routes/drive times here, but add a further 20% to the quoted drive times to allow for driving on unfamiiar roads and possible delays:

http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/#

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs of Moher via Rock of Cashel to Dublin

Assuming you will be having the night in Ennis or Limerick and using the next day for Cahir and Cashel as you head for Dublin then no problem.

Doolin, Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffs of Moher via Rock of Cashel to Dublin

Assuming you will be staying overnight in the Cliffs of Moher / Doolin area then travelling to Dublin via Cashel will not be a problem.

There is a motorway from Ennis to Limerick and from Cashel to Dublin.

Allow 4.5 hrs travel time in total.

Niall

The Sea View House

Doolin

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliffs of Moher via Rock of Cashel to Dublin

Yes we would be in the Ennis area. I'm thinking of doing the Aran Islands our 2nd to last day. Then maybe instead of Rock of Cashel, we can further explore the Burren before heading to Dublin. I'm just undecided about the route to take. Maybe I should jut stay focused in County Clare or would the trip to Rock of Cashel be worth it?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliffs of Moher via Rock of Cashel to Dublin

There are two ways from Ennis to Dublin. one is over Lough Derg the other would have you not a million miles from Cashel going under the lough. so maybe decide at the time dependant on weather and other unpredictables during your stay

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliffs of Moher via Rock of Cashel to Dublin

How many days are you in Ireland and when is your visit? Personally, I would stay in Ennis, visit the cliffs in Kilkee ($ and tourist free) head back to Limerick, visit Bunratty Castle for a couple of hours, on to Rock of Cashel. Rock of Cashel is ok... Was there last September and it was very cold as it gets very windy. I was happy I saw it but would not drive 4 hours to visit.

7. Re: Cliffs of Moher via Rock of Cashel to Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 04:15