We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashford Castle--worth the splurge?

Colorado
Level Contributor
168 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Ashford Castle--worth the splurge?

My husband, adult daughter and I are visiting Ireland for 16 days in May (and so looking forward to it!).

I am wondering if staying at Ashford Castle is worth splurging for? The cost is high for our budget.

Or is lunch and a visit to the grounds or a horseback ride an enjoyable enough visit?

My husband and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary; I was thinking that perhaps we could renew our vows there informally.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashford Castle--worth the splurge?

Depends on the rest of your itinerary, The grounds are nice but there are just as good places all around, You can do some horse riding just about anywhere on the island. congratulations on the silver, I am not sure how you would go about the blessing though.

As you might gather Ashford does not fill me with passion Ballinahinch on the other hand would be somewhere special. http://www.ballynahinch-castle.com/

Colorado
Level Contributor
168 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashford Castle--worth the splurge?

Hi Tony,

I followed your link. Much more affordable and so beautiful!

Thank you very much.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashford Castle--worth the splurge?

You might want to consider Riding out from Cleggan http://www.clegganridingcentre.com/ about an hour up the road. This map might help with some other points in the area http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu and for the drive in from Galway …activeboard.com/t50055177/n59-galway-route/

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ashford Castle--worth the splurge?

Agree with Tony (see, it DOES happen)save your money and go to ballynahinch. It's as much a "castle" as Ashford, a little worn in places- so you are like a family friend amongst the real antiques and the setting is stunning.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ashford Castle--worth the splurge?

Another vote for Ballynahinch.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
281 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ashford Castle--worth the splurge?

My husband and I stayed at Ballynahinch a while back cannot say enough about the place. They arranged to have a taxi for a trip to Clifden (hubby wanted a break from driving). I think the guys name was Noel, very pleasant individual. He dropped us off at Clifden, picked us up and then another drop off at Roundstone. They also had 2 night B&B/1 dinner specials when we went. It wasat a reasonable price.

Never stayed at Ashford though we did "visit." Only guests are permitted in the castle but we wanted some hot chocolate at their place across the road. There was some sort of an electrical outage for the area so the manager there said we cold go to the castle for the hot cocoa; guess the castle wasn't affected or had generators to supply electricity. Anyway, I was very much put off by the personnel there. A guy I dubbed "Inspector Closseau" followed me to the restroom, which reeked of very strong perfume. The cocoa likewise was not worth the price paid for it.

Ballynahinch with a big thumbs up for Noel as a taxi driver.

Edited: 13 March 2013, 03:07
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
281 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ashford Castle--worth the splurge?

My husband and I stayed at Ballynahinch a while back cannot say enough about the place. They arranged to have a taxi for a trip to Clifden (hubby wanted a break from driving). I think the guys name was Noel, very pleasant individual. He dropped us off at Clifden, picked us up and then another drop off at Roundstone. They also had 2 night B&B/1 dinner specials when we went. It wasat a reasonable price.

Never stayed at Ashford though we did "visit." Only guests are permitted in the castle but we wanted some hot chocolate at their place across the road. There was some sort of an electrical outage for the area so the manager there said we cold go to the castle for the hot cocoa; guess the castle wasn't affected or had generators to supply electricity. Anyway, I was very much put off by the personnel there. A guy I dubbed "Inspector Closseau" followed me to the restroom, which reeked of very strong perfume. The cocoa likewise was not worth the price paid for it.

Ballynahinch with a big thumbs up for Noel as a taxi driver.

Edited: 13 March 2013, 03:07
8. Re: Ashford Castle--worth the splurge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 05:15