We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking in Ireland

6 posts
Save Topic
Backpacking in Ireland

My husband and I are backpacking through Ireland for our 1-year anniversary. We will be there April 9th-20th flying in and out of Dublin. This is a trip we have both wanted to take for ages and really see it as more of an adventure than a luxury vacation, we want to see beautiful countryside, drink lots of beer, hear great music, and we love old architecture and ruins. I would love some advice about some cool places to visit that are a little off the beaten path. I would also like some opinions about our lodging ideas. We have reservations for our first night in dublin and the night before we leave but that's it, we kinda wanted to wing it because we for know which places will grab us and which will we will want to just pass through. Is this too risky?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking in Ireland

when you say backpacking, what do you mean? how are you actually getting around?

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking in Ireland

We are renting a car... So I guess we aren't technically "backpacking" : / what I meant is that we are literally only taking a backpack and aren't really expecting fancy lodging or anything, we have no problem with hostels and b&bs

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacking in Ireland

You'll be traveling in the off season so shouldn't have any problems with accommodation. As for places to go the list is endless! My personal favourites are Beara Peninsula staying in Kenmare, Dingle, Ennis, Galway and Westport. But that's probably because I haven't traveled around the some of the other areas yet! Enjoy!

Doolin, Ireland
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpacking in Ireland

Enjoy Back Packing around Ireland you will find the standard of hosteling quite good. Nearly if not all hostels in Ireland use www.hostelworld.com and they give a good rating system for hostels.

Doolin is very popular with back packers and a great base to explore the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren (filled with heritage sites, forts, castle ruins etc. and if you like to hike you have the Doolin Cliff Walk, Burren Way or some other local heritage trails or day trip out to the Aran Islands. If you are into activities you can go Horse Riding, Rock Climbing/Bouldering, Sea Kayaking, Surfing or Rent a Bike

You have also some of the best pubs in Doolin with live Irish Music nightly serving great beer.

Enjoy backpacking around Ireland.

Anthony

Edited: 13 March 2013, 20:58
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpacking in Ireland

Thank you both! I will definitely check out that website! I was also starting to get the idea that a lot of the best things to experience are concentrated mostly in the south, I'm sure there are some amazing things to see around county Meath and Roscommon and on but should we focus on our trek from the east coast to the west and just maybe go up north to the giants causeway and Belfast if we have time?

Doolin, Ireland
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Backpacking in Ireland

A lot of the best things you will find are in the South and up along the west coast. Personally my favourite city would be Cork (from there you can do the Jameson Midleton Distillery, Cobh, Kinsale, Blarney, English Market in the City center) then trek up through Kerry (you have ample choice of great towns and villages to stay in,Kenmare, Sneem, Dingle, Killarney) then up to Clare, base yourself in Doolin and see the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, day trip to Aran Islands (Inis Oirr is my favourite, its the closest and cheapest to get too and combine it with a cruise under the Cliffs of Moher). Plus the pubs will have good atmosphere any night of the week with live Irish Music.

Galway city is very popular and has a lot of good hostels, but head up to Connemara and you have Letterfrack/Cliften and the Connemara National Park. Westport is another nice town with the Green way (cycle path).

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Backpacking in Ireland

Fantastic! Thanks so much!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Backpacking in Ireland

How was it? My better half and I are planning the same type of trip June 15- July 10. Want to doScotland and edinbouroiugh too. I need to get a back-pack! Any suggestions?

Charlotte, North...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Backpacking in Ireland

Hello!

How did your adventure go?

My wife and I are also celebrating our 1st year anniversary with a trip to Ireland.

We are also going backpacking with no hotel reservations other than the first 2 nights in Dublin.

We are staying 10 days and flying out of Shannon.

We love the outdoors and we also want to enjoy the culture, landscape and people so it sounds like the south and the west are our best bet for 8 days.

Instead of renting a car we were thinking of getting around by public transportation and hiking when needed. Is that doable and still make it to the places mentioned above?

We are leaving next friday. Is this time of the year already high season? Should I be concerned about finding accomodations?

Thank you!

Canberra...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Backpacking in Ireland

my advice to you: don't buy a backpack!! it's gotta have wheels baby!