We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Ireland

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
87 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Ireland

Does anyone know which is the cheapest car rental in Ireland to rent an AUTOMATIC gear car? Sadly I don't drive stick/standard and will need to rent an automatic which I know will be expensive. I'll be renting it for about 12 days... Thanks!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Ireland

The best thing to do is to go to the different websites (using their Ireland site - with the .ie extension) and getting the rates for your dates and pick up/drop off locations, reading the complete terms and conditions for any additional charges (such as SCDW, additional drivers, airport fees, etc.) and figuring it out (I usually put a spreadsheet together with all of the info).

Sorry that there is no real easier way! We have used Budget on our 2 trips and will likely continue to rent from them.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Ireland

We used Dan Dooley and an automatic upgrade was around $89 for 9 days. We drove a lot of miles on some crazy roads, so I was very glad for the automatic, one less thing to worry about.

Canada
Level Contributor
6,337 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Ireland

As Akandal indicated, you need to do your own research on the car rental websites. or have a travel agent do it for you (sometimes they do get great deals from a consolidator, sometimes it is cheaper to do your own booking).

Not only does the auto vs stick affect price but number of drivers, gps, drop off at different spot, type of insurance also affects bottom line.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Ireland

We rented an AVIS car for May and then later I went back to their site and upgraded to automatic for the two weeks. It added a total of $90.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Ireland

The insurance cost is $30 per day, but if you have driven in Ireland before you will gladly accept the extra expense.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Ireland

Worth checking prices through www.easytourireland.com which has a link to Hertz with a discount code. This has been discussed extensively on the forum - worth searching as there is obviously a difference in car rental culture between US and Europe. You can get an intermediate size car for around €200 for a week in April with super cover provided by Hertz. With Super cover your excess/deductible should be €0 except tyres etc, but I'd ring Hertz and get it confirmed - these small print clauses and web sites make it all very unclear what that excess/deductible really is. Note that Hertz in Ireland is a franchise/licensee and not owned directly by the mother company so don't reckon on all the rules and regulations being the same as back home. Remember when comparing prices with other rentals to check what the excess/deductible is by calling them. Carrying a €2000 risk with standard CDW is not worth saving a few Euros.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Ireland

I believe you're right dyoll from Oslo. EasyTourIreland.com does have good deals as they include all the insurances and the Super Cover. I drive a standard transmission myself, a 1996 Toyota Pick-Up and love the gas mileage. When I go to Ireland I rent a standard as the automatics are more expensive. But lauramanyap you might look at easytourireland.com to see what their automatics are costing. Still a great deal with the full insurance.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
23 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in Ireland

By this writing you most likely found your answer(s) but, I wanted to post the following for other folks so, they tread VERY carefully when booking a car! As, in my opinion, the whole Rent-a-car game in Ireland is a giant rip-off. I rented from Hertz, after shopping all the companies, including Irish Rental Cars. I booked through AAA and saved 20% but, NOTE THIS: the language on the published agreed terms changed from what was advertised on their website to what arrived in the confirmation and you agreed to when signing up. Specifically:

1. The "Super" (also, expensive) CW Insurance does NOT cover Tires, Wheels, rectifying a fuel mistake (putting diesel in a gas fed car), loss of a key and Glass. Some companies also do not cover Mirrors.

2. On arrival they gave me a near new Audi DIESEL when I booked a General Motors (GM) Opel GAS (petrol) Sedan. Worse yet, 15 minutes down the road, I discovered it had a 4" gash in the L/F Tires which later blew out and I had to buy a $166 tire...with NO Choice in the matter. They denied reimbursement, on arrival back at the airport, claiming the tire was never damaged when it left. So, CHECK YOUR RENTAL CAR Carefully BEFORE you leave!

3. As above. Take pictures of your car BEFORE you leave (in front of the agent so, he/she knows you're not a neophite), and after you return, as they can claim damage and CHARGE you on your credit card , long after you leave the airport. This includes traffic and parking tickets)

4. This gets WORSE. The late model foreign cars do not come with spare tires!!! And they won't give you one (no place to put it- unless you throw your luggage out on the sidewalk). So, if you have a flat- you're at the mercy of the 'local' garage... unless you want to book a nights stay, blow your whole schedule and WAIT for the rental car company to come. The garages know this and take total advantage.

5. The late model foreign cars have LOW PROFILE tires so, renting the'nicer' (with A.C.)"Intermediate" car , like I did, means your stuck with a car HIGHLY LIKELY to have a blow-out as they Any road, off the big highway (Like the M8), is quite likely to be filled with potholes... potholes you can't SEE in the pouring rain. So, MINEFIELD is the perfect term to describe these bandits w/o Masks and a Gun.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Ireland

Point 4: how do you know the garages take total advantage or are you just throwing out blind accusations?

Point 5: low profile tyres are not more prone to "blow outs", neither are most roads filled with potholes. It's also rare to miss a pothole because of rain, perhaps you were driving too fast. Your tyre incident was unfortunate, but in no way the responsibility of the hiring company.

Also, all cars in Ireland are foreign!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in Ireland

What sort of a Wombat sees a 4" gash in a tyre but still drives on it until it blows out? Probably at speed! Sorry but all points mentioned have been hammered to death on every forum I see and it is Always the unprepared or "Lets save a few €£$" folk that come unstuck. Who complains about getting an Audi Diesel over a GM repmobile Or Similar . Had you wanted to rent a Bentley (foreign car) for the week then you could have done at about 4x the price of the Audi. Had you booked directly with the supplying hire car company you would have known what you were getting for your money and what extras might be required.

I am sorry you had a hard time of it over here.