We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Irish trains

Ohio
Level Contributor
393 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Using Irish trains

We want to travel by trains

from Dublin to Cobh

Cobh to Belfast

Belfast to Dublin.

I have been to the Irish Rail website to look at costs of the train tickets but the costs are not posted. Is it because the trip is not until October 2013?

I have read you get good discounts if bought in advance online. Can you buy at the stations in advance and get the discount?

I am also trying to decide whether it is easier to buy a train pass.

Thanks for your help.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
15,743 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Irish trains

You can book only 2 months ahead online. Don't think these discounts are available at the ticket office. The disadvantage of these online tickets is that you are then tied to a particular train. You can usually take an earlier train if you pay a supplement - but then there is no booked seat. Buying a ticket at the station on the day is much more expensive and no booked seat.

A little tip - you can upgrade on the train to first class for EUR 20 - ask the guard.

Edited: 22 March 2013, 16:52
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Irish trains

Only Dublin - Cork and Dublin-Belfast have first class. Not worth it on my opinion

Discounts are only available online.

Change in Cork for Cobh

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Irish trains

At the moment, you can get the cheaper fares by booking 7 days in advance. Irish Rail could change this, so keep an eye on the website for any changes.

This is the fare structure at the moment:

www.irishrail.ie/cat_offers.jsp…

I would definitely book online as it is much cheaper than paying on the day, and there is the added advantage of having your seat reserved(at no extra charge).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Irish trains

Don't worry too much about Seat Reservations unless you intend travelling on a busy train [usually the first trains to/from Cork and Belfast and the 5pm 'business' in the afternoon - or - Friday evening/Sunday evening - or - the October Holiday weekend]

You probably dont want this - The trekker ticket: Four consecutive days of unlimited travel on all Iarnród Éireann services in the Republic of Ireland from the date of issue on the ticket. Price €110, but this might be an option; Irish Explorer Rail Only offers customers 5 days unlimited travel out of 15 consecutive days on all Iarnród Éireann services in the Republic of Ireland for only €160.

Note that you will have to pay between the Northern Ireland border and Belfast as the railway up there is not Irish Rail.

My guess is that the limited number of trips that you intend to make will best be bought as suggested above, in advance and on-line to avail of the cheapest option. If by the time you travel the cheap fares have increased, then the option of pay-on-the-day Explorer ticket may be the best.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Irish trains

the order of your itinerary has you travelling a lot more than you need to because to get from Cobh to Belfast you need to go back to Dublin. I suggest you change the order and make 2 seperate bookings as follows:

1. Dublin - Belfast - Dublin

2. Dublin - Cobh - Dublin

Trains to Belfast go from Dublin Connolly Station and trains to Cork/Cobh go from Dublin Heuston Station. It is a 15 minute tram (www.luas.ie) journey between the 2 Dublin terminal stations.

Book tickets in advance up to 28 days on www.irishrail.ie and pick them up from the ticket machines at the station

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Irish trains

Apologies, the order of your trip is just the reverse of what I suggested so ignore that part. But to get the best value you should book 2 return trips out of Dublin as I have described, in whichever order you prefer. You will not be able to book online a ticket from Cobh to Belfast as the online fares are usually in and out of Dublin. Booking 2 tickets return from Dublin in advance should let you do all these journeys for €70 plus booking fee

Ohio
Level Contributor
393 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Irish trains

Thank you for the prompt replies and suggestions about the trains.

8. Re: Using Irish trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:17