We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

I've have come up with so many variations for an itinerary and none of them seem "workable". We're arriving in Dublin on the morning of the 15th April 2013 and leave for Scotland late evening of the 27 April 2013. The latest itinerary I have is as follows

15 th Dublin sightsee

16 th Rent a vehicle and head for Powerscourt, Glendalough, Kilkenny

17 th leave Kilkenny, Cashel, Cahir, Blarney then Killarney

18 th spend the day in Killarney

19 th head for Dingle, blasket islands

20 th Cliffs of Moher, Burren, Adare, Bunratty, Galway

21 st Galway

22nd Connemara, Roundstone, Kylemore Abbey, head for Donegal Town

23rd Donegal, Slieve League,

24th Derry

25th Giants Causeway and Antrim Coast, Belfast

26th Belfast

27th Belfast, Dublin

When plotting the distances, it seems we are in the car all the time. I've also know thrown this one in the dustbin. I've even resorted to opting to do a coach tour, but it defeats my object of wanting to come to Ireland in the first place. So I really need your help.

Places I definetly want to see

Belfast

Giants Causeway and Antrim Coast

Donegal Town and surrounds

Bunratty castle

The Burren

Dingle Peninsula

Killarney National park

Rock of Cashel

Dublin

Suggestions would be appreciated as to how to split the no of days and driving time to see these places, but also not to spend hours on end in the car. We're trying to get away from touristy spots and see the true Ireland.

Help would really be appreciated

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,029 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

I would start by removing 2 or 3 of the "must sees" on your list. You're trying to cover the entire island in less than 12 days really. And as you have already figured out, it means you're constantly driving to a different place instead of spending time enjoying your visit.

"Trying to get away from touristy spots" can be a good thing, but every place you've mentioned IS a "touristy spot". Usually with good reason. "Touristy" doesn't have to mean "bad, don't go there". :)

There are a lot of people who live in Dublin, Belfast, Donegal etc who would assure you they live in "the true Ireland" :)

I would recommend as a start, cut out either Killarney and Dingle, or cut out Donegal and the Antrim coast. That will make it more manageable to see the rest of the things you decide on.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

My guess is that you will soon hear from one of the Destination Experts on TA that you have no chance of seeing everything on this very packed itinerary. It looks like a small island on a map, but Ireland is quite large and the roads, weather and sheep make it all but impossible to travel very fast. You may consider eliminating the North and make it the basis for a return trip.

FYI - We are headed back in May for visit #4. LOVE IRELAND!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

As Irishfan says, forget the 'real ireland' thing, we are all real. 'Real Ireland' would be shopping centres and housing estates and factories! All the places you want to see are popular with tourists for good reason. However you cannot see all of them except on an 'ohhh look, that was Kilkenny' basis.

16th, fine

17th, are you not going to look around Kilkenny? A minimum of a half day. Then on to Cashel, and by that time places will be closing,so stay in Cashel.

18th, Cahir (quick look because you are passing it) Blarney, Killarney.

19th Day in Killarney

20th Don't think you can do Dingle and Blaskets in one day, one or the other

21st - we are losing it now, you can't do all the C of M etc in one day, and we are already a day behind. Maybe skip Adare and Bunratty.

22nd Galway

23rd Connemara - Donegal

and then up to Derry etc

Or something similar,short answer is you have to do a bit of pruning!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

With this itinerary, you will be too exhausted to go to Scotland!. For starters, google the distance and drive time between all these places you want to see, then start eliminating. For instance, on the 16th, you want to drive to Powerscourt, which has many hidden places that you won't want to miss, plus a nice terraced restaurant to enjoy lunch. But you have two more places to go that day. The next day you have four destinations! On the 20th, I think you plan to leave Dingle and drive to the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Adare, Bunratty and Galway. WOW and while all worthy, virtually impossible! Personally, I would save Donegal and Belfast for a future trip and slow down a bit so that you can enjoy the whole experience. I have been to all of these places and have fond memories, but they were spread out over seven trips. Sometimes the best memories are as simple as turning off the car engine while you photograph the sheep (or cows) meandering slowly across the road. Leave some time for the unexpected experiences.

Canada
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

The places on your "definitely want to see list" are also on the list of every tourist who goes to Ireland for the first time. They are definitely touristy!

The destination experts have suggested many typical itineraries. Look down the question column and pick out one of theirs!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

Do you have places already booked for your trip?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,285 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

listen to these folks...they know of which they speak...so sorry but you have too many "must sees" and as was indicated already, you won't "see" hardly any of it, you'll just run past it to get to your next destination.....

remember, in ireland less is more.....do take the advice given and pare it down a bit so you can make some wonderful memories instead of a sore bum.....

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
770 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

Oh my!! It made me tired just reading the itinerary. Not only does it "seem"----you "are" in the car all the time! A bunch of one night stands with driving in between. You'll have to cut out a lot of "must sees" and concentrate on far fewer places. And please try and make as many multiple night stays as possible. Ireland is a beautiful country--the people are fantastic--relax, slow down, enjoy. The DEs are far better than myself to give you a revised itinerary, but really, you have to be more realistic on your must sees. I hope the Scotland leg of your journey isn't a repeat of the Ireland one. You will need a holiday when you get home to recover from this holiday!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

I concur with the replies. Too much traveling. I did what you are planning and a bit more but it was on a motorcycle and the riding "is" the trip. Even for a bike trip I felt rushed. My first trip we stayed 2 or 3 nights in each location (Clifden, Dingle, Kenmare, Kinsale with a one nighter in Doolin) and that felt about right but we also had a driver. I have only been to Ireland twice but less is more. You need to decide what is important to you and just plan on coming back.

Chicago
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm about to give up, help desperately needed with itinerary

I agree with saving Donegal for another trip, mostly because the drive up there is long and there's so much to see along the Southwest coast. Except for the manor house (which you can only get to if you're staying there) there's not much to Adare. We loved the Slea Head drive on the Dingle peninsula and I would recommend staying overnight in Dingle. We loved the Aran islands as well (from Galway). If you skip heading north to Donegal you could do this, well worth it.