We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway to Dublin - what to do?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Galway to Dublin - what to do?

Hello - last question for today, i promise...

We will be coming from Galway to Dublin and spending the last two days in Dublin. I was thinking we would leave Galway around 8:00 and head for Dublin, maybe stopping at Clonmacnoise along the way and try to get to Dublin before lunch? I would like to be able to do a couple things in Dublin once we get there that day as well maybe trinity college, dublin castle and guinness... but i have a feeling this might be too ambitious while still dropping off the car?

Any suggestions? We are staying at the Shelbourne so we will be close to our hotel at least...just might be tired.

The next day I am planning on a day tour to Newgrange and Tera, so we can always go to maybe one more place when we get back from the tour.

Belleek Castle Museum
Castles, History Museums, Jogging Paths & Tracks
Ferns Castle
Historic Sites, Castles
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,681 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway to Dublin - what to do?

Galway to Clonmacnoise is 50 miles, a minimum journey time of 1 hour 15mins.

Dublin Airport (to drop car off) is 90 miles a minimum journey of 2 hours.

I am assuming you will be driving from somewhere near Galway city and leaving there at 8am. (Let me know your exact departure location if Galway city is not it) If that is the case,then here is an approximate timing for you:

Leave Galway 08:00, arrive Clonmacnoise 09:15

Explore Clonmacnoise for 2 hours. (This would include having a light breakfast there, watching the short introductory film and a guided tour. The guided tour is very much worth it, I highly recommend it)

Leave Clonmacnoise 11:15, arrive Dublin Airport 13:15

Drop off car 30 mins.

Leave Dublin Airport 13:45

Arrive Dublin City 14:45

Check into hotel 30 mins

Hit Dublin 15:15

If your timing works out as per my estimates above then you would have time to do one of the items on your wish list. I recommend Trinity College which is only 10 to 15 mins walk from the Shelbourne. (great hotel choice, by the way, lucky you)

Alternatively, if all you want to do when you get to your hotel is stretch your legs and get some air, then you could do worse than exploring the lovely and very famous St. Stephens Green, just across the road.

NOTE: Be aware that Clonmacnoise has different opening times depending on the month you will be here. Here is a link.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway to Dublin - what to do?

Thank you Bryno! Very helpful!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway to Dublin - what to do?

We did Clonmacnoise, 6 euro pp fee. Well worth the stop. From there we stopped at Killbeggan, had lunch there at their cafe and did the Silver Tour 13 euro pp and included 3 tastings. Very informative and worthwhile.

4. Re: Galway to Dublin - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 04:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now