We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iphone

Saugerties, New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
iphone

I know enough to not use my 5 for gps, data, etc, as it will cost as much as the rest of my trip. But I have an old 3G that is no longer being used. Would it be usable in Ireland if I bought a SIM card there? Can I get a SIM card for a 3G?

I would only want it for GPS during the day. I could use my 5 when I am within WiFi spots, so as to not incur absurd AT&T charges, but if the 3G can work for GPS, then it will mean I don't have to rent one.

Thanks

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,412 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iphone

This is frequently asked, and the usual reply is to buy a Tesco card in one of their supermarkets. I suggest you search the forum, you'll find plenty of helpful hints.

Saugerties, New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iphone

Thanks, but I think maybe I didn't ask the right question.

I guess the right question would be "Can an iphone 3G handle running a current GPS App", since the phone is pretty much outdated.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,412 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iphone

Maybe now you are getting too technical for a travel forum. Try an iPhone forum, or better try the 3G out yourself with a local sim card with available apps. You need to check if your 3G is quad band and works on European frequencies.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iphone

First thing to find out is if your phone is unlocked. If it isn't unlocked you can do it for free on the internet. I'm assuming that a phone that old is out of contract. I just did two of them via AT&T and it was very simple.

The Iphone 3G uses a standard size sim card. You can get one free at the first Tesco you come across. Then you can purchase minutes for voice and also a data plan. Data plans are €6.99 for 1 gb of data. Tesco doubles your voice minutes so if you buy €10 you get €20 worth of minutes.

Saugerties, New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iphone

Thanks, PaulKris, that's the kind of information I need.

Yeah I've replaced that phone a couple of times now, and it has not been under contract for a couple of years.

Not a bad price for 1GB of data, since I pay more than that each month to AT&T for one month.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iphone

Here's the link to the unlock procedure. There is an online form you access via this page.

www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp…

They say it takes a few days but I had it done in a few hours.

7. Re: iphone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 14:35
8. Re: iphone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 06:19