We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limerick on way from Galway to Killarney?

Pound Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Limerick on way from Galway to Killarney?

After already visiting the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle and The Burren on our first day, and exploring Clifden, Roundstone, and Kylemore abbey the second, the third day we are off to spend three nights in Killarney at the Killarney Lodge. I thought on the way from Galway we stop and tour Bunratty Castle and if time permits, stop in Limerick to either see either St. Johns castle or do the Angela Ashes walk. I would also like to spend some time in Adare. My questions is what is worth seeing? I'm not sure if Limerick will be worth the extra time. I would like to arrive in Killarney with some time in the afternoon to either drive ROK to Kenmare since we decided not to do the ROK, but do the Dingle Peninsula the first full day in Killarney. Thankfor any advise,

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limerick on way from Galway to Killarney?

Hi Meg,

If you are arriving before June, then King John's Castle will be closed. The visitor's centre is currently undergoing renovations.

However the Hunt Museum http://www.huntmuseum.com/ and St Mary's Church of Ireland Cathedral (about 40 yards from each other) are very much worth a visit.

Adare Village will take about 30 minutes to see and the Heritage Centre is nice for a coffee and sandwich and a bathroom break.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limerick on way from Galway to Killarney?

"After already visiting the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle and The Burren on our first day, "I'd suggest you refuel the helicopter.it makes no sense to visit Dingle from Clare/Galway, as you say you are going to Killarney next. Have another look at the map :)

Pound Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Limerick on way from Galway to Killarney?

Thank you. Will be visiting on Tuesday, June 18th. What's more interesting to see, king John's Castle or St.d Mary's Cathedral? So in your opinion, worth a stopover before hitting Killarney after Bunratty Castle.

I think we will stop in Adare for lunch.

Pound Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Limerick on way from Galway to Killarney?

I wasn't clear on that. We will spend three nights and two full days in Killarney. Hope to get a good nights rest before we head to explore the Dingle Peninsula the first day and spend the second day hiking or biking the Gap of Dunlore. Then off two Dublin for two nights. Thats another issue I'm having trouble with. We need to drop off the car at Shannon airport, pick up another car (long story why), then drive to Dublin. Would like to detour a bit to visit the Rock of Cashel. Is that worth going out of the way for. I know it's a lot of driving, but once we get to Dublin, we will turn in the car and just walk and wander the city for two days.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limerick on way from Galway to Killarney?

You can do the Hunt Museum, St. Mary's Cathedral and King John's Castle all together. They are within yards of each other. The Hunt will take less than an hour. St. Mary's will take about 15-20 minutes, even less. King John's Castle used to take about 90 minutes. However this may change with the new visitor centre. I can't find out exactly when it will re-open (I remember seeing something in the last few days but I can't find it at the moment so I'm going to suggest you get back here again before you visit.

Galway to Bunratty will take an hour or so. You could stop off in the beautiful village of Kinvarra on the way down http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinvara Bunratty will take about 3 hours or so.

Alluding to Harvey's post, can you please confirm that your aspiration to visit Dingle on Day 1 is a typo. If its not I'm going to share a bottle of something strong with Harvey ;o)

Take a look at this invaluable instrument routes.aaireland.ie This will give you estimated times - add on 10 - 15% extra - distances and directions.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Limerick on way from Galway to Killarney?

The Gap of Dunloe is in Killarney not Dingle.

Meg, could I ask you a favour please. I'm getting a little confused.

Could you briefly set out your itinerary in Day and Activity form e.g.

Day 1 - Land in Shannon, visit x, y, z

Day 2 - Travel to A, overnight in B

Day 3 - Travel to C, visit D, E and F, stay in G

etc

Thanks

Pound Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Limerick on way from Galway to Killarney?

im sorry to be so confusing. here's the itinerary: June 16 - June 23

Day 1 - arrive Shannon 6:00 am. Pick up rental car, drive to Ennis/breakfast, visit Cliffs of Moher, Doolin/lunch at O,Conners (heard there,s music on Sunday afternoon and also last day of Doolin Folk Festival at Dloolan Hotel). Drive through Lisdoonvara, to Ballyvaughan on "Burren Way"' then through Kinvara and see Dunguaire Castle (if we're not too exhausted), then drive to Meyrick Hotel in Galway where we stay two nights. Dinner in Galway

day 2 - Drive to Clifden and rent bicycles to either ride the "Sky Road" or "loop to "Roundstone". Lunch/O'Dowd's. Drive and visit Kylemore Abbey. Drive back Galway through leenane and Maam. Dinner in Galway

day 3 - leave Galway and drive to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. Drive to Limerick if time permits and visist St Johns Castle, St. Mary's Church of Ireland Cathedral. Drive to Adare/lunch??? Then drive to Killarney where spend three nights at the Killarney Lodge. May do part of ROK to Kenmare if there,s time and maybe dinner in Kenmare.

Day 4 - Drive the Dingle Peninsula from Tralee over Connor's Pass. Lunch in Dingle and drive on "Sled Head Drive". Drive back to Killarney via Inch and Killorglin and stop for a drink at "The Bianconi". Dinner in Killarney

Day 5 - rent bikes or hike the Gap of Dunloe through Kate's Cottage, and end up at Lord Brandon's Castle and take boat to Ross Castle. Hike or cycle back to Killarney Lodge. Walk around town, dinner in Killarney.

Day 6 - leave for Shannon airport to return car and pick up another and continue drive to Dublin for two nights at the Conrad Hilton. Would like to stop of "Rock of Cashel" on way. Will be dropping off car at Dublin AIrport and take taxi to hotel. Walk around and have dinner at Brazens Pub????

Day 6 - kids want to take the Guinness tour. Also would like to see Book of Knells and Trinity Collge. Any suggestions?

Day 7 leave for airport to return to new York right after an early breakfast.

Is this all doable? Depending of weather we may end up doing the Gap the day before Dingle.

Thank you.

Day 4 -

8. Re: Limerick on way from Galway to Killarney?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 05:17