We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary help

I've read messages re over planning so I'd like to pass this by some Ireland experts for advice. We have 24 days - no rush and we are flying into and out of Dublin - no other countries - just Ireland, late May to late June.

Days 1, 2, 3, 4 Dublin - want to take in a night at the dogs and Ha' Penny Comedy club

Day 5 Powerscourt and Glendalough

Day 6 Kilkenny (no we're not interested in Waterford)

Day 7 Cork via Rock of Cashel

Day 8 Kinsale

Day 9 Kenmare via Mizen Head

Days 10, 11, 12 Portmagee for Skellig Island (3 days of chances to make it to island)

Day 13 Dingle - Slea head drive

Day 14 Tralee to Bunratty

Days 15, 16 Bunratty to Galway via Cliffs of Moher

Days 17 Galway

Day 18 Clifden

Day 19, 20 Clifden to Slieve league

Days 21, 22, Belfast

Days 23, 24 Drogheda/New Grange etc

It seems a little choppy at the beginning but places seem close so maybe we won't be in the car long each day??? We are OK with adding a few extra days if needed. No car in Dublin but will rent a car on Day 5. We think we'll use only B and Bs - maybe 1 night at a castle somewhere - just for the experience. Our things are history, music, architecture, nature and art. More nights at Galway? Any thoughts from those Ireland experts?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,662 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary help

Hi Sunshine

Between Galway and Donegal you will pass through Mayo and Sligo, both with lots to see given your interests -

Some more information -

http://www.museumsofmayo.com/ceide.htm

www.museum.ie/en/intro/country-life.aspx

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/North-West/

megalithicireland.com/…20Complex.html

megalithicireland.com/Creevykeel%20home.htm

sligotourism.ie/attractions/…

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary help

Not an "expert" here, but certain you will hear from them too. We've been there a few times and would suggest Killarney (great town) as one potential base camp ...you can get to Portmagee for Skellig from there. Also would suggest adding some time in Galway. Check out Ashford Castle northwest of Galway. 24 Days is awesome ,....jealous!

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary help

Had a look at Ashford and for 1 night, it would fit the budget. It would be an amazing experience! I really like the idea of using Killarney as a base for that area. The B and Bs in Portmagee didn't look awesome anyway. Any places anyone has stayed in that were memorable?

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary help

I would highly recommend the Quay House in Clifden. We have stayed there once for 3 nights and have it on our next trip for 5 nights. Paddy and Julia are wonderful hosts and it is very easy to walk up to town from there for dinner and such.

Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary help

From County Donegal to Northern Ireland you can stop in Derry, UK City of Culture 2013, lots of festivals and events are going on. The city is full of history and the ancient walls were completed in 1619, if you have time you could check out the Tower Museum. From Derry to Belfast take the coastal route, far better than the motorway and lots of highlights on the scenic road.

Boston...
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary help

My husband and I did the walking tour of Derry with Derry City Tours/Martin McCrosson (derrycitytours.com) and really had a great experience. The cost was only 3 or 4 euros each as I remember, which was a bargain for all we learned. This was our first ever guided tour on any vacation, and we saw such value in it that we decided we'd plan to do something similar in other places, including Belfast.

We met the guide, John McNulty, outside the Tourist Information Center just in time for the 2pm tour, which was the last of the day. The Tourist Center is next door to a big parking garage which made things easy for us coming from out of town and not sure of what parking would be available.

The tour kicks off near one of the walled gates and circumnavigates couter-clockwise around the walls of the city. On the tour were folks who live just outside Derry and were taking guests who were from another part of Ireland; us from the US; and couple from Australia. Interestingly, the people who were natives thought the presentation was well balanced, and I figured they ought to know. After the tour we grabbed a bite to eat (nothing special-just a burger :) so nothing to offer as a recommendation for dinner) and then headed off to get a closer look at the murals.

Could we have done the walk ourselves- absolutely. Would we have had an understanding of all the stories, history and details behind the walk-not unless we studied a lot! We didn't bre-book, and actually were quite lucky to hit what's rated the best tour of the city walls. It was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon-I highly recommend it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary help

Check out my reply to Help with Option 1 or Option 2, Please by sdscarlett on this forum for your Day 5

8. Re: itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 06:17