We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

Kingsland, Georgia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

Just go to www.osi.ie , under the map is a green tap that says "explore maps using our free viewer" click on it. Then bookmark that page that it take you to. and play around with it. If you left click on a spot it zooms-in. if you right click you will notice the icon will change to a minis sign and you can zoom-out, if you right click again, it will change to a hand and you can drag the map around to where ever you want, and one more right click will take you back to the plus sign to zoom-in again. If this is bookmarked on your phone or laptop you could use this for a map when you are traveling.

Denny

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

It's a very good map. I liked the online version so much that I bought a hard copy at IrishNation.com. http://www.irishnation.com/mapofireland.htm

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

The OSI also have a free map which shows Ireland in or about 1905 and also around 1835. both have the zoom-in facility which is useful to look at localities as the were in times past. The home page starts with the current but just use the window on the right to select which 'older' version you want. Here's the link maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/…10

Kingsland, Georgia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

Thank You for the info. I Iove old maps. My wife GGG-Grandfather was born in Ireland in 1823 and came to America in 1843. I would be very interested in looking at the old maps of what it was like when he was still in Ireland.

Denny

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

Interesting that he left in 1843. Why, do you know? The Famine struck two years later when about a million Irish left these shores.

Kingsland, Georgia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

His bother and sister came over a couple year before and he came to be with them. I thought the same thing about the famine until I started putting the dates together. I guess he just got lucky and came just before.

Denny

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

The Great Famine of 1845 was just one in a series. Many areas suffered from potato blight in the years before, just not as wide a scale. So it may well be that a potato failure WAS the reason for departure.

historyplace.com/worldhistory/…begins.htm

"Ireland's potato crop failures in the past had always been regional and short-lived with modest loss of life. Between 1800 and 1845, sixteen food shortages had occurred in various parts of Ireland. However, during the Famine the crop failure became national for the first time, affecting the entire country at once. British officials believed the 1845 food shortage would likely end with next year's harvest. Thus they reacted to the current food shortage as they had in the past by enacting temporary relief measures."

Kingsland, Georgia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

Ya'll are Great here! Not just great travel info., but also info that is not even expected. John Mctarsney was from Co. Tyrone. Maybe this was an area that was affected earlier then 1845 . We really do not know why they left. We hope to find out more when we get there. I thank you for giving more to work with.

Denny

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

Is this yours: "I am a g.gdaughter of John McTarsney who was a brother to Patrick McTarsney.They came to USA from Co. Tyrone Ireland,via Liverpool in 1843 on the Martha Washington to New Orleans LA

Patrick married Eliza when he went back to New Orleans from Scott Co.IN to sell logs that he had cut.She was in New Orleans to visit her brother.They knew each other in Ireland.Delores" on …ancestry.com/surnames.mctarsney/1.4/mb.ashx

You might find some more knowledgeable folks about Tyrone on the NI thread which is under the UK on TA.

Kingsland, Georgia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

This is my wife's GGG-Grandfather. The Delores that made this post I have exchange info. with in the past. She is from Indiana where the Mctarsney family settled in America.

Denny

Kingsland, Georgia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are you looking for a nice free online road map for Ireland

And thank You for the info. about the UK TA.

Denny