We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs

Bountiful, Utah
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
Souvenirs

I am vacationing in Ireland this summer. My dad wants me to bring him back some alcohol. Is that allowed? And what are the best souvenirs from ireland?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenirs

You will need to check what alcohol can be imported to the US. There are no restrictions on export.

The best souvenirs are those that trigger good memories.

I like to bring back fridge magnets and books about attractions I've visited (but following over enthusiastic fridge use by my kids I will be only bringing back metal ones in future!! The porcelain ones tend to break if they are catapulted across a tiled floor!!). Fridge magnets can also be used as radiator magnets.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,016 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenirs

Of course you can bring alcohol back to the US as long as you stay within the permitted limit! We always bring a bottle or two of Bushmills when visiting friends in the US and Canada.

"The best souvenirs"? This is surely a matter of personal taste but I'm sure you will find plenty of lovely things over here. Are these souvenirs for you or are you looking for presents for friends and family? Jewellery with a Celtic theme is very popular and there is some really good stuff to be found. Then there is Aran knitwear, Irish pottery and glassware (these can be shipped for you by the retailer)...

As I said, you won't have any problems finding some nice Irish souvenirs.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenirs

I'm planning to buy some glassware while in Ireland. I am glad to hear that I can have it shipped to the U.S. rather than dragging it back with me and worrying that I'll break it.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenirs

I love Irish whiskey. My go to are Redbreast 12yo, Jameson 18yo, or Midleton Very Rare.

Virginia
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souvenirs

I like to bring back tea cups and bodhrans.

Laramie, Wyoming
Level Contributor
176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Souvenirs

I love to bring food, candy, biscuits, tea bags and marmalade-for myself and others. There are some really beautiful sweaters being made now, not the traditional Aran knit(most if which are made on machines now), but gorgeous colors and yarns.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Souvenirs

Bean what about dolls for my granddaughters those with an Irish flair or a fairy doll those kind of things, are they easily found. What would you suggest.

Thanks

Collie

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Souvenirs

Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enwuUxWbSH4 as a sample. Back to the OP, yes a bottle of Whiskey would be my choice for your Dad - Bushmills would be my favourite regular tipple, but Tyrconnell is a particular fancy of mine on special occasion. Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78T_wmXCve0

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Souvenirs

Collie, a lot of those / most of those dolls are made in China.

There are some lovely knits made here - not aran knits but handknits nevertheless. However they can be expensive.

What ages are your grand daughters?

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Souvenirs

Bean they are 21/2 and 5. I know what you mean about most being made in China, every country I go to I look for souvenirs for my kids and grandkids most made in China. What I'm looking for is something they can keep forever "hopefully" and pass on to their kids. My aunt use to buy me storybook dolls when she traveled and I loved them so much and her too of course, lol.

Collie